Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teevtorbs Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2009, 10:51 PM
    Someone used my name to rent apartment!
    My ex-husband, who I've been divorced from for 9 years, has used my name in another city to rent an apartment. I do know he has terrible credit and defaulted on his last rental lease, and I believe that's why he used my name. What can I do?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2009, 11:00 PM

Have you called his landlord?

And how do you know he did this? I would think they would have asked for you id and what not for the credit check and then had you sign the papers. How did he get around not having you present ever?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2009, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by teevtorbs View Post
    What can I do?
    Hello t:

I don't know that you should DO anything... Clearly, your signature is NOT on the lease. It's not like he took out a credit card in your name. You'd be responsible for paying a credit card... But, you're not, in any way shape or form, LEGALLY going to be required to pay his rent. Landlords don't report to the credit bureaus, so even if he DOESN'T pay, it won't effect your credit. As far as I can see, his doing this doesn't effect you at all.

Leave him alone.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cleaning of an apartment for rent [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved in to an apartment where I did not sign a lease, I had seen the apartment prior to moving in and it was pretty damaged I asked and was told that everything would be done before I moved in when I finally did move in the carpet was never changed or even shampooed and they told me that...

What is due for rent after 3 days in an apartment [ 1 Answers ]

I am in Massachusettes. I have given a 30 day plus 3 days of the next month notice. I am an at will tenant. The landlord is telling me that I need to pay a full months rent for the extra 30 days is this right or is it prorated? They are also telling me that I have to prove I paid my last months...

Rent increase for apartment in PA [ 10 Answers ]

Is there a cap on how much I can increase rent on an apartment in PA? Current tenants have ovenight guests, I pay water, sewage, trash collection!

Own a home in NJ, rent an apartment in NYC [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I both live and work in NYC. We are considering our options to buy a home. Our first option is to buy a condo/co-op in NYC. Our current rent is really cheap (against other NYC apartments). One option that I'm toying with is to keep renting our place in NYC, and buying a home in NJ...

View more questions Search