Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MistyVal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2009, 09:15 AM
    How do I shut off the hot water to change the hot water valve of my bathroom sink ?
    Hi there ! The hot water valve to the sink leaks a bit and I want to change it before I start painting. I know I have to close the main valve but what do I do with the hot water tank ? Do I shut it off or empty it and if so how I do I go about filling it again ? :confused:
    Thanks to whoever answers my question I appreciate it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 16, 2009, 10:28 AM
    Describe the faucet. One handle, two knobs or a separate valve for hot and cold.
    Or would it be the hot water angle stop in the cabinet?
    To shut the hot water off to the faucet you can do it in any one of three places.
    1) the hot water angle stop in the cabinet
    2) the cold water supply to the hot water tank, **or**
    3) Close the house shut of shutting down the entire system.
    Good luck, Tom
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 11:29 AM

After you shut off the water, and I suggest that you turn off both the hot and cold water especially if it is a single handle faucet on the bathroom sink. After you are finished you will not have to do anything to the water heater, it will remain full of water and it will remain lighted.

When you open up a hot water faucet for the first time after the repair you might get a rush of air, this is normal and should clear up immediately.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 01:14 PM

OK, y $.02.

Turn off the gas or electric to the hot water. For gas heaters turning it to Pilot or Vacation is sufficient.

Turn off the cold water to the heater.

Open the hot tap. Particularly the lowest and highest one in the system.

Drain about a bucket (1 gallon or so) of water from the hot water heater.

Turn off the cold under the sink.

Make SURE that no water comes out the tap your trying to change the shutoff valve to.

If it does, turn off the cold water main. Make sure the water is off before beginning work.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 02:45 PM

Please tell us about this hot water valve is this the angle valve under the sink or this is your faucet hot side leaking, it may be an easy fix if it is the angle valve under the sink, if it leaking from the packing nut just tighten the nut a little and the leak will stop or you can replace the rings, see the image below, for this you would not need to turn off the gas or drain the water heater just close the main S/O valve and open the faucet to drain the water, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaky cold water shut-off valve under bathroom sink [ 1 Answers ]

I have a leaky shut-off valve and am leery about fixing on my own. Any specific advice about how to do this will be greatly appreciated.

Can't shut off hot water valve at kitchen sink [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a new faucet for the kitchen sink and was preparing to install it. I can shut off the cold water valve, but when I tried to shut off the hot water valve the knob turns but it almost feels like it might be stripped, so it doesn't turn off the water. I'm wondering if I can basically take...

No Shut Off Valve between water heater and bathroom sink valve [ 14 Answers ]

I have a constant drip in my bathroom sink. After a little trouble shooting, I came to the conclusion that my hot water valve underneath the sink is the culprit. I traced the pipe down the wall, into the basement and to the water heater. The only thing between the water heater and the old valve in...

Bathroom sink hot water shut-off valve [ 6 Answers ]

I live in a house on columns. In following the instructions for removing a bathroom sink faucet I turned the shut-off valves off. The cold side did not run, but I am getting a drip from the hot side... a drop every second or two. I tried shutting off the supply downstairs. But the drip persists....

Shut off sink valve for hot water [ 1 Answers ]

Our sink's hot water won't shut off. We have tried what we thought was the shut off valve, located under the sink with no success. Any suggestions on how to shut if off.

View more questions Search