Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrwarlick Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2009, 04:14 AM
    Garbage disposal
    What tools do I need and how do I go about removing a garbage disposal and putting in a regular drain and trap. It sounds to me like it should be a fairly easy job but I want to be sure before I attack it.

Thanks,
    Jim
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 16, 2009, 05:14 AM
    No special tools are needed.. Shut the power off to the disposal at the breaker and disconnect the wiring. Disconnect the trap and you're ready to drop the unit. At the top see a ring, (see image) unscrew it counterclockwise and drop the unit. Now unscrew the nut that secures the drain. Clean up the old seal from the drain area.
    You will need a sink drain and a tailpiece,)see images). And a small can of plumbers putty. Make a ring of putty and place it under the drain lip for a seal. Now place the rubber gasket under the sink and tighten the nut. Install the tailpiece and connect the trap back and you're in business. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garbage Disposal [ 3 Answers ]

We just moved into a house. It was built in 1951. The sink in the kitchen is a large single sink. Not replaceable without replacing the counters. It is sunk in with grout and original tiles surrounding it. Is there any way to install a garbage disposal with only having a single sink? ...

Garbage disposal [ 1 Answers ]

My disposal has always worked just fine, but today it's sending water back up into the sink after it's gone down once the switch is turned off? A clog? Does this necessarily mean a plumbing call?

Garbage Disposal [ 1 Answers ]

Disposal is working but water is backed up and won't go down.

Garbage disposal [ 1 Answers ]

I have never had a problem running my garbage disposal before until I replaced it with a bigger and better one. Now my disposal backs up, and when I run the disposal, it backs up into the adjoining sink! Please help! Hi Mom, Sounds like you have a clog in the lateral, (horizontal ) pipe in...

View more questions Search