Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anesthesiologist Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2006, 09:42 AM
    Can I get both a W2 and 1099
    I'm a member of a large anesthesiology group.

The income structure is identical for all members of the group. We bill in time based units on anesthesia services we deliver to the patient.

Many in the group have assumed additional, uncompensated, roles. We have a board of directors who manages the business side of things (I'm a board member). We have others who spend hours each week organizing our scheduling, biweekly educational conferences, working with the hospital on pharmacy and equipment, doing all our IT work. Nobody gets paid for this and nobody wants to pay someone else to do this.

We can currently expense items related to our work and take this out of our own billings on a pre-tax basis. If I buy books or attend a meeting, I fill out an expense report and get that money reimbursed to me "pre-tax"

My question is can we pay ourselves for uncompensated non-anesthesia work and shift some income from our W2 to a 1099? For example, could a board member who attends meetings 25x/year, expense an annual fee of $10k and take this as pre-tax income that would be reported on a 1099. Instead of getting a W2 for $110,000, they would get a W2 for $100k and a 1099 for $10k.

I guess the advantages are more flexibility in deductions on the schedule C. The downside is the self employment tax but we are already paying our own employers portion of the income tax out of our billings.

I'm already working on an accountant regarding this but hoped that this community might have some real life examples to give.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 3, 2006, 04:41 PM
    I cannot give you any examples, but what you have in mind seems feasible under the tax code.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099-g and 1099-int [ 8 Answers ]

Hi ATE, I am following this forum for last couple of months. It is a very good source of tax information. I am non-resident alien from India. I was on F1 (OPT) from Jan 06, 2005 to Nov 30, 2005. My H1B status started on Dec 01, 2005. I am filing 1040NR-EZ and Form 8843. I have received...

1099-g and 1099-int [ 1 Answers ]

HI ATE, Thank you for reply. I always thought that 1099-INT (Interest income) from non-business activity such as savings/checking account interest, deposit receipt interest or anything that comes under category 1099-INT is exempt for non-residents and should not reflect on 1040NR-EZ. What do...

1099-c [ 3 Answers ]

I have already received my refund for this year. After receiving my refund, I received a 1099-C form. I took it to my tax account and she said that the $65,340.71 in box 2 (it also listed interest in box 3 $9577.90), that I would have to pay taxes on, which is $14,000. I told her, isn’t my ex...

1099-c [ 2 Answers ]

I have already received my refund for this year. After receiving my refund, I received a 1099-C form. I took it to my tax account and she said that the $65,340.71 in box 2 (it also listed interest in box 3 $9577.90), that I would have to pay taxes on, which is $14,000. I told her, isn’t my ex...

1099 and H1 [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks for your valuable help that you are giving to so many people. I need one help too. I am on H1. Can I work on 1099. Will this create any problems? Secondly. How may hours I can work on 1099 if I am allowed to? I am working 40/week on W2 with a consulting conpany on H1. I want to...

View more questions Search