Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bradthedog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2003, 12:37 PM
    Underweight cat
    Hi I have a 15 month old male cat who recently had a kidney infection and nearly died. He dropped from 6 to just over 4 pounds in about 10 days. He is much better and eating and drinking but he has gotten really picky on what he eats, he won't eat the dry food he ate for almost a year, he will nibble the half a dozen canned foods I tried but not eat much of them. The only thing he will regularly eat is canned tuna. He is eating this but I am wooried about him getting a balanced diet and not regaining the weight. I have had him checked for parasites and all the standard cat problems which came back negative so that is not the problem.

My big question is has anyone tried anything that will help cats gain the weight. I tried 2 different kitten milk formulas my vet suggested but neither met with the cats approval. My vet is on vaction for the next month, his nurse just doesn't know and the referral clinic wants me to come in and spend another $150 bucks before they will even answer my question. Currently I have to give him cranberry juice (really helped with the kidney and bladder problems both my other cats had in the past) through a syringe and thought I could maybe doing the same with either a high calorie sports drink with the vitamins and minerals or with soy based isomil. What does anyone think
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2003, 07:02 PM
    Re: underweight cat
    You are right to be concerned about the tuna not being the complete and balanced diet he needs. I know dogs with digestive upsets can go a while on boiled chicken and potatoes or rice. You might try adding a little potato or rice to the tuna. Letting it soak in the tuna juice might help. The cranberry juice may be giving him badly needed vitamins and minerals. If you can keep him going a few more days, maybe his appetite will come back. If not, you may have to cough up the $150.

I have no real knowledge or experience about cats. I hope they are similar enough to dogs that my answer helps without discouraging somebody who knows more about cats from answering. He has lost a third of his body weight. Even if he was overweight, that is still an awful lot. Once he starts eating, it may be best if he doesn't gain too quickly. I would try to keep an accurate record of his weight and make sure that he at least isn't losing more.
    bradthedog Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2003, 07:44 PM
    Re: underweight cat
    He is eating just not putting not regaining the weight he lost. I have gave him a little isomil and he is drinking it it certainly bulks up babies that are on it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please I need help!I'm underweight [ 6 Answers ]

I'm 17+ and I'm 5"2 79 lbs Is there any way that I can gain weight?. Please let me know Thanks

Underweight [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 19 years old and I'm pretty sure that I am underweight for my height, which is 5'7 feet amd I weight 105 pounds, ( just weighted myself) What can I do to gain weight fast? Am I anorexic or what? What can I do?

Underweight? [ 16 Answers ]

Hey, I'm 14, and I am about 5 foot 6. I think, compared to most people in my year at school that I am too skinny and underweight. I'm 8 stone, but I don't know what I should be. I done one of those online weight calculators and it said I should be ideally about 132 pounds. I know the obvious...

Underweight... [ 1 Answers ]

I have a fren that is underweight... sometimes she feels sick and she always throw up in school... she once faint in school... my main question is: what healthy food do she need to it to make her weight balance? She don't want to be underweight... :confused: :(

Underweight cat [ 3 Answers ]

My cat is extremely thin, and it is sickly how you can feel every bone in his back when you pet him. We feed him 2 times a day, but he doesn't eat it all. He is a picky eater, and he is lactose intolerant. He also gets sick when he eats seafood. Is there a safe way for him to gain weight?

View more questions Search