Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grayem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2009, 08:26 AM
    Another 125 sub panel (sort of inside the same building)
    Sub panel to in-structure shop questions. Details first, questions last.

St Louis MO city not county

3000 sq foot house built in the back of a 5000 sq foot, 1 story warehouse zoned mixed use but converted to Residential. (gray areas are fun)

The shop is in the front portion of building, but you have to go outside to enter the shop because we partitioned the building with an interior wall.

House section has a 200 amp panel + 100 amp sub panel (installed to reduce circuit length for receptacles, oven and dryer, not because the main is full)

The main panel is in the rear of the building but the ground wire is connected in front to a copper water main 115 feet away. The ground wire runs past where the sub will go. (pex plumbing throughout)

House's main panel power suckers: geothermal heat pump (no AC units!), stove top, 2 hot water heaters (one is only for backup heat for the geothermal heat pump and is never used, but I suppose you need to count it because it could be.).

Shop panel one way circuit will be 80 feet and will serve welding equipment, wood working equipment, ventilation, etc. This will be a one man show so I wouldn't expect to be welding at the same time wood is running through the planer while leaving the mill to cut chips, but I suppose a few fans, a tool or two could run at once while the lights are on.
    Lets just say the maximum possible load would be:Three, 3 hp motors, some lights, fans and a small office with a computer plus a tiny hot water heater could be running all at once. If you need to throw a 30 amp welder into the mix as well, go ahead.

Questions are:
    Biggest sub I can run?
    Hopefully a 125.

What size wires? 2 hots, one neutral, one EGC, right?
    I predict the hots and neutral will be #1 copper The ECG #4

What type of wire required for 1 1/2" plastic conduit that is already under the floor.

Do I need ground bars when it is technically inside the same structure, but you have to go outside to enter the shop? Can the bars be installed in the ground inside? (tall ceiling, so no problem with the physics)

Check out some similar questions!

Building Code for Bathtub Access Panel? [ 5 Answers ]

Does there have to be an access panel "cover" -- the actual panel -- for the bathtub, or can that area -- pipes and all, the underneath of the bathtub, etc. -- all be left open? Is there typically a building code about that? Thank you.

Sub panel feed to an exterior building [ 4 Answers ]

For the last week I have been pouring over 10s maybe 100s of threads describing how to do this. I have come a long way but I still have a few questions. My plan so far... I will install a dual pole 60A breaker in my main 100A panel in the basement. From there I will run 4 #6 THHN wires (2...

Wiring inside panel, bond or not? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm wiring a new Square D Homeline, 200 amp main lug/main breaker panel. The meter and a separate main breaker box is located outside the house, so the panel I'm working on is a sub panel, which also contains a main breaker and 40 spaces. The panel has a bus on the right side and a bus on the...

Sub panel in a remote building [ 20 Answers ]

Hi all! Thank you in advance for your experience and time! OK, I have searched a lot of places and have gathered some information, but, I am somewhat confused. I just built a workshop behind my house. I have a 200 amp panel in my house , and I want to feed my sub panel from the main house panel....

Inside rear door panel, 1999 lumina [ 2 Answers ]

I need a diagram or detailed instructions for removing the rear inside door panel on a 1999 Chevy Lumina. I found 3 screws and I know the rest is installed using either plastic or metal clips. I just need to know the approximate location of these clips so I don't tear up too much. Thanks in...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.