Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    d0rkable's Avatar
    d0rkable Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 2, 2006, 09:05 PM
    Signing over parental rights
    OK well My Boyfriend has a daughter with this women, he pays support but she will not allow him to see his daughter she leaves him nasty messages saying she's better off without him. Well this women called him and asked him if he would sign over his rights to her husband because she wants to move out of state and she can't without his say. So my boyfriends thinking about signing over his rights but doesn't want to be screwed over, Can he sign over his rights and not have any financial responsibility to this child at all? No form of responsibility to this child if he chooses to sign over his rights?
    helixfire's Avatar
    helixfire Posts: 18, Reputation: 2
    New Member

    Nov 3, 2006, 01:09 AM
    I think they can call him in for support whenever. That giving away parental rights just means he has no say anymore. But I'm confused, why can't she leave the state?
    d0rkable's Avatar
    d0rkable Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 3, 2006, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by helixfire
    I think they can call him in for support whenever. That giving away parental rights just means he has no say anymore. But I'm confused, why can't she leave the state?
    In Arizona they have a law where you have to get written consent from the other parent. He pays support for the child, But she also said that she is going to have her lawyer draw up papers and put in them that he has no responsibility whatso ever to that child, I was just wondering if that could be done?
    wackione05's Avatar
    wackione05 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 5, 2006, 04:42 PM
    My boyfriend went through the same thing over a year ago. He has gone through so much because his ex is a and asked him to sign over his rights to her new husband, so my boyfriend being the good person that he is did everything she asked and he ended up paying child support for almost a year before it stopped. It's a huge pain in the because he had to keep going to the courts to fill out paper work to try and get it terminated but every time he went in they told him something different. Arizona laws back the mother up 100%. If he decides to sign over his rights he must make SURE that in the documents he signs there must be a portion stating that the child support will be terminated by signing. The best way to go would be to have a lawyer there but if you can't afford one make sure you read the documents carefully because they will try and leave that part out. The state of Az will garnish his wages. My boyfriend ended up having to pay $700 a month which is ridiculous! I came on this website trying to help my boyfriend because he has received papers once again about child support even though it has been terminated for several months now, but ended up being able to help someone else. I hope this info can be useful to you and good luck!
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,292, Reputation: 7691

    Dec 5, 2006, 05:49 PM
    Also unless the court ( judge oks it and rules on it) it is merely a contract, and if the judge rules it not legal, it will not be binding.

    Often , esp if the custodial parent gets welfare the state will go after the other parent to be paid back for money spent on the child, I doubt that an agreement not ruled on as a court order would be binding on this.

    Most states ( not all) will not normally ( note but sometimes) allow one parent to sign away obligation to child support. Unless there is someone willing to adopt the child ( new step parent)

    You can sign over any rights to visit, to custody, but the state holds and requires some obligation ( not right) to pay support
    sillygirl_96544's Avatar
    sillygirl_96544 Posts: 28, Reputation: 2
    New Member

    Dec 11, 2006, 04:43 PM
    Don't Sign Over The Rights At All Really Make Her Pay For The Pain She's Caused Him Revenge Is The Best Don't Sign It Over It'll Screw Her Over Not Him
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,473, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

    Dec 11, 2006, 08:59 PM
    What kind of "signing over of rights" are you talking about here? If it's to consent for an adoption, then that'll relieve him of the responsibility of providing financial support. It'll also no longer make him legally the father and he'll have no more paternal rights whatsoever. Otherwise I wouldn't sign anything as signing anything else only sounds like he's being manipulated and will end up getting burned.
    cyberslider's Avatar
    cyberslider Posts: 45, Reputation: 6
    Junior Member

    Dec 13, 2006, 09:09 AM
    I would talk to a lawyer advice is free each state is different
    princessana's Avatar
    princessana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 16, 2008, 09:27 PM
    My boyfriend is going through the same stuff. His ex hates us for being together and for being engaged even though she claims to be engaged to her ex whose in prison. She says she's going to take away any visitation rights he could have because they haven't gone to court yet for the kids. There's two of them and she lives in another state. She claims she has evidence that will keep him from getting visitation. She's been impossible because she's upset he didn't marry her when she got pregnant. He didn't love her didn't want to be with her but stayed because they had kids but he was tried of being unhappy so he left her and I got with him. Ive known him for 7 years. We've been together for 10 months. She took the kids, moved out and left the state. He hasn't been pushing for visitation yet because he's in a tight finanacial situation. Any time she gets mad at me or him she sends ignorant test messages about them getting a new daddy, and how he'll never see the kids again. She lives with his dad (he wants to keep an eye on his grandkids because he lives in the same state as them), and is supported by the govt. and his dad, goes to school but has no job! We can't take it anymore! He's thinking about signing away his rights because if he's never going to see them and be forced to pay childsupport he thinks he would be better off to sign away his rights and just wait till the kids come looking for answers to their moms bad statements about him and explain what their mother did because she was jealous and selfish. I want to know where I can find every thing there is to know about signing away rights to a child. Also doesn't the mother have to approve of the father signing away his rights to the child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights [ 11 Answers ]

I am divorced. My ex-wife has a boy friend who wants to adopt my children. They are not married. Does he have to marry her before he can adopt? Do I have any rights to visit or communicate with my children if I give permission to adopt?

Parental Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Richmond Va and have a 12 year old daughter. At this time my ex-husband has full custody of her . He called and informed me that she wanted to live with me full time which I already knew but he said the only way he would allow that to happen is if I got the paperwork drawn up for him to...

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my problem. Im 36 weeks pregnant and the father of the baby doesn't want anything to do with the baby. He wanted me to get an abortion and has said a bunch of stuff like he would pay support but he doesn't want to see or have anything to do with the baby. Then he said later that he wasn't...

Giving up parental rights [ 6 Answers ]

My wife lives in Wisconsin and has not let me make any kind of contact to a child she says is mine (the child has my last name due to the marrage), for about two years now I am paying child support but she keeps trying to increase it and I live in another state for reasons due to the wife. I make...

Giving up parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my girlfriend has a little girl by another man. But he has not seen the baby or tried to help and he knows about her me and my girlfriend are getting married in April I want to adopt the baby and change her last name to mine its been alomost a yr since she was born and no contatc from the...

View more questions Search