Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wakeupcall13 Posts: 35, Reputation: 5

Oct 11, 2009, 04:19 PM
    Divorce and bankruptcy
    Would anyone in mind sharing their personal Chapter 7 bankruptcy story with me. I am about to file and really would like to know what to expect. I am filing with my husband then we are getting a divorce. If you don't want to post it, please email me privately. There is so much information and I can't find the same answer twice. I am worried about losing my house and car because I may be over the exempt amounts by a little. Any advice and personal stories of survival would be greatly appreciated.
    feeling helples Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2009, 04:40 PM

I am in the process of filing chap 13 and am separated from my husband. I am keeping the house, car. Both of our wages will be garnished for the above and the amount that we have to repay back to our creditors. Your husband will have to pay for your home as long as his name is still on it.

Oct 12, 2009, 01:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by feeling helples View Post
    I am in the process of filing chap 13 and am separated from my husband. I am keeping the house, car. Both of our wages will be garnished for the above and the amount that we have to repay back to our creditors. Your husband will have to pay for your home as long as his name is still on it.
    Thank you for sharing with me, I thought we would be a 13 also but the attorney says we would just make chapter 7. I personally think I have too much equity in the house and car, just over the exempt amount. I wonder what they do then? I am really looking for stories of the aftermath too. Is it that bad? Do creditors still harass you? I hate even doing it but I can't see a better or safer way out of the mess of a marriage and finances I have. A fresh start is what the lawyer calls it, I hope that is true. I can't shake this feeling that it will start as a Chapter 7 and turn into a 13 and then have to pay both fees. I'm very nervous and of course taking it all on myself because the soon to be ex has his head in the sand.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Oct 12, 2009, 03:46 PM
    wakeupcall13, I have asked the Moderators of this forum to move this question to the Bankruptcy law area. I think you will find more and better answers there.

Oct 12, 2009, 04:50 PM

Yeah, I am beginning to think so too.

Thanks for your help
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 12, 2009, 05:00 PM

Moved to the legal section >>>>>

Several issues, first there is not one amount for car and home, there is a separate exemption for each, and that exemption is set by state law in the state you are at.

Your attorney will work with you to try and show your value under that.
    With cars they look at what the current selling price is for a similar car of the same value, this is done though several sourses, NADA or Blue book values, or by showing though advertisements what the value is.
    It is not what you owe on it.

On the property, it just depends on how much you owe to how much it is currently worth. Now since at least in most of the US, homes have lost 1/3 to 1/4 of their value in the last two years, you may have less equity in it.

One thing to watch, if the court orders husband to pay for house, and he does not, they will come after you for the money.

If you are over the equity amount, then you may have include that property to be sold to file bankruptcy.
    The reason is, if you have 400,000 in home value, and owe 500,000 they will expect you to sell the house to pay your debts.

Oct 12, 2009, 05:24 PM

I don't have enough equity to pay my bills or even make a substantial dent, it a few thousand over the exempt amount for Ohio. I don't know what value they will use or if they will actually look at the house?
    My car is in the same boat, it's a honda and the resale value is set higher and it looks like I'm a few thousand ahead on it too. If I can keep it, that car will last me a very long time and will be paid off next summer... would really help the "fresh start" but its just over the "exempt" amounts I think.
    My hope is to get through the bankruptcy, finish the remodeling, sell it and get the divorce.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 12, 2009, 05:31 PM

just work with your attorney, they are often creative on estimating the value but at the end of the day, if they are over the exemption, then they have to be included.

Oct 13, 2009, 01:32 PM

Yes, I will work with the attorney and I am pretty sure this is the road I have to take because of the state of my abusive marriage. I can't trust him so I have to put my future in a strangers hands and hope for the best I guess.
    I hear the aftermath of bankruptcy is real bad and I hear its not so bad... so I was hoping for some personal stories, some direct experience but I guess its such a touchy subject...
    Thanks for your time fr chuck and thank you fellin helpless for your story.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorce and Bankruptcy [ 6 Answers ]

One of my employees is going through a rough time, deciding on ending her 24 yr marriage. She came to me for help, and I really know about either subject, and I don't know all the specifics. Here goes... She and her husband are up to their ears in credit card debt, I don't know how much but I...

Divorce then bankruptcy [ 4 Answers ]

I live in ny state,my wife wants her name off the mortgage,then get a divorce,then she wants to file bankruptcy.what will happen? Thanks.

Bankruptcy & divorce maybe [ 2 Answers ]

My husband owned a business for almost 5 yrs. Before he bought the business all the credit cards we had was joint cards and to buy the business he took money out many of them and over the last few months he hadn't paid many of them. I just didn't pay attention to it before but we closed down the...

Bankruptcy & Divorce [ 1 Answers ]

My ex-husband filed bankruptcy just after he filed divorce, our divorce was finally before the bankruptcy. I did not file with him. Can the bankruptcy court come after me for the debts he filed on? Also note only one creditor was in both out names the rest were strickly in his.

View more questions Search