Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcb92844 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2006, 05:02 PM
    What are my Fatherly Rights when I have a restraining order??
    My soon to be ex-wife and myself are currently in the process of our divorce. While we were married, she became very manipulative, threatening, and volatile. When I told her I was filing for divorce, she did the ultimate and called the police on me stating that I pushed her to the ground, threatened her and our unborn child, was an abusive and violent individual. To make a long story short, I was brought into custody, questioned for hours, and finally the police dropped the charges because there was no evidence of abuse. So to get revenge, my ex went to court and filed a restraining order against me. Well, my son is now 3 months old and I have not seen him since he was born. I want to know what my rights are. Since there is a restraining order, does that mean that the order is in effect with my son also? Please help!!
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Nov 2, 2006, 06:00 PM
    Have a few questions: what state are you in... RO are not the easy to get in some states... some contact was done... you were told that you are the father of a boy... having an RO will make it difficult for custody... so I need to know if you want custody or just visitation... for your own safety and to prove to the courts that your concern are for the child... open an account and place some monies in it for the child... it is your way of showing your ability to pay child support and you have not abandon your responsibility... get a lawyer... make arrangements for visitation... supervision... do not fight... use the fruit age of the spirit... by using self control... come back at us with the information...
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2006, 06:58 PM
    You'll need to go to court and petition for an order for visitation. Strictly speaking, the restraining order keeps you away from her, not your child. Because it is in effect, however, the judge may permit supervised visitation only or may order a third party to act as an intermediary to oversee your picking up and returning your son when visiting with him.
    mcb92844 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2006, 08:52 AM
    I live in the state of California. I do have an account for my son and already have money set aside for his savings. I know that my ex-wife is going to fight me for full custody but I have no problem with 50/50 custody. I do want more than just visitation with my son.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2006, 09:06 AM
    In California you will have a battle on your hands, must must be able to prove you are fit parent, you should file for sole custody yourself.

Start documentation on all contact with your ex, even to the point of carrying a pocket tape record and a camera with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stopping a restraining order [ 3 Answers ]

Can somebody tell me how to stop a restraining order?

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Restraining Order - Repeat Violence [ 3 Answers ]

I have a friend who has a restraining order against him and he has asked me To go speak to the person who ordered the restraining order and ask that Person to drop the order because he says it is my fault that it was placed on Him. I am afraid if I do that according to Florida law this would be...

Sibling restraining order due to manulipation of children? [ 6 Answers ]

My question is,, In California can I get a restraning order to keep my sister away from my children who are 11 & 14. She talksa to them about "how bad of a parent" I am, and tells them I can't afford the things they want because I am broke and at the moment disabled and not bringing in as much $$...

Restraining orders & a crazy mother [ 2 Answers ]

I'm going to try to make this easy to read & understand. I don't know what to do, what my rights are. Here is my story. *met a single dad in April. His ex-girlfriend, mother of his kids, abandoned their children with him PLUS her 5 year old son from another man *i offered my help and have been...

View more questions Search