Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    larryokee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2009, 09:15 AM
    1991 honda civic dx starts then dies.
    I have a 91 honda civic dx hatchback with a 1.5 I believe. Car will start and run for a few minutes then die. Will not restart. I let it sit over night and the same thing. I pushed it to a shop and they wanted to charge me $1200.00 to replace the fuel pump. NOT. I turn the key,fuel pump kicks on,car starts and runs for a few minutes then dies. Will not restart. I turn the key on again and do not hear the fuel pump kick on. I checked for an error code but the ecu only blinks once. No code. Help.
    phlanx Posts: 213, Reputation: 13

Oct 11, 2009, 09:45 AM

Afternoon larry

First question is, have you seen any fuel leeks where the car is parked or a smell of gas at all?

If the vacuum pump is leaking and losing pressure it could be the ECU is telling the pump to switch off

I don't have the auto program anymore that can identify all the relays and fuses connected to the fuel pump

A fuel pump is a simple vacuum pump that works off 12v.

If it does come on for a second then dies then something is telling it to switch off.

The pump will be connected to a relay normally in the engine bay - try to find a wiring diagram for the engine and it will tell you which one, then find a working relay and replace to either eliminate the relay or that is what has caused it.

Sometimes you can hear them switching on and off when the ignition is turned on and off - if you can hear it then see if it is switching on and off again

The fuse will be fine as the pump comes on for a while

ECU's don't always know there is a problem, or the ecu could be having a fault and not able to inform you it has a fault

After that, and only do this if you feel competent enough to do the job is to remove the fuel pump, and hook it up to a 12v battery and see if it turns on - it should stay on as well as you are bypassing any other electrical imputs. - Please note you are delaing with gas and electricity here!!

Without checking the manual I cannot say for sure, but I would not have thought the pump on a model of 91 contains a separate ECU in the pump so shouldn't be causing a problem here

Afterthat it's the main ECU causing a fault

Hope this helps
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2009, 11:13 AM

If the Check Engine Light always comes on and goes out after 2 seconds, when the ignition switch is turned to ON (Position II), and you can hear the fuel pump run during that interval, replace the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and coil:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

Honda fuel pumps are extremely reliable--I have yet to see one fail. Most situations like your's are electrical-related, not fuel. Even most "fuel pump problems" have nothing to do with the fuel pump, but with the electrical system.
    jagursua Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2010, 01:52 AM
    I have a Honda Civic LX 9l and a few days ago, when I run it works well but spend a few minutes and dies, I switch it on again and it works well and dies check the fuel pump and also it's okay to change the main relay but still Like I need help please

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1991 honda civic starts very rough then stalls. [ 16 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I've been reading as much as I can on this and other sites regarding starting problems on 91 honda civics. The information I gained was very helpful and informative, but, I am not 100% sure if my problem is with the ignition coil or igniter or the whole distributor. I...

1991 civic starts then dies [ 2 Answers ]

My 1991 civic ex will start then the engine stalls immediately after. When I try to start it again it makes a wheezing noise, but if I leave it alone and try to start it the next day it will do the same thing. It sounds like it will try and start but it just does not want to keep running. Any...

'94 Honda Civic EX automatic - starts but dies as soon as key is released [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my Civic will start but as soon as I release the key, it dies. If I start the car but hold the key in, the car will continue to run until I release the key. Can I replace the ignition lock cylinder only (where you put the key) or do I have to replace the entire ignition switch? Since it it...

1991 honda civic.starts. [ 1 Answers ]

HELP!! 1991 honda civic, 4 door manual transmission... this is my sons car... starts up and pushes the gas pedal and it dies... enough gas, just changed the fuel filter and oil... my husband thinks it is the fuel pump... what do you think?

1991 honda civic dx [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 1991 honda civic dx if I turn on my head lights or heater hit the horn turn on the cd deck anything at all and try to crank it it won't crank nothing at all... and if you don't have anything on it will start and run until you turn anything on or hit the brakes then it dies. And if you turn...

View more questions Search