Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ginibeni Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Nov 2, 2006, 12:28 PM
    Rent payment when lease goes into different month?
    My lease is up December 10. However we pay rent on the third. If I'm planning on moving by the date my lease is up do I still have to pay rent for December? I don't believe I should have to.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2006, 12:46 PM
    Hello gini:

I know you PAY it on the third, but when is it actually due? If it's due on the third, but the lease started and ends on the 10th, that's kind of strange, but you're going to owe pro rated rent from the time it's actually due (the 1st or maybe the 3rd) till the 10th. If your rent runs from the 10th and you pay early, then November rent runs through December 9th.

Make sure you give him 30 days notice, or you'll owe more.

excon

Nov 3, 2006, 10:16 AM
    It's actually due on the 1st late after the 3rd. The lease runs from dec 10 to dec 10. We told him on the first that we would be moving.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 3, 2006, 11:06 AM
    From what you said your monthly rental period is from the 10th to the 9th (i.e. Nov 10-Dec 9). Even though you pay rental on the 1st, it covers that 10th-9th period. So you should not have to pay for Dec 10-Jan 9.

Nov 3, 2006, 12:41 PM
    That's how I was thinking scott... I also think its strange that I signed a lease on the 10 but my rent falls on the first... however I rolled with it because it naturally makes since to pay on the first... but in my mind if it says dec 10 is the date the lease is up then rent has been paid up to that time. I just don't want any surprises that's why I'm also researching what can and can't be deducted from the security deposit... when I move from here I will be much more educated on tenant and landlord issues.

Nov 3, 2006, 12:51 PM
    It really doesn't matter so much WHEN the rent is due as it does what period it covers. Assuming you paid 1 month's rent up front before you moved in, then the rental period should be 10th-9th.

If you are at all concerned about your ladnlord's honesty, I would strongly suggest scheduling a walkthru with them or a 3rd party to record the condition of the premises.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Nov 3, 2006, 01:07 PM
    You owe 1/3 of the monthly rent through December 10th... and you need to pay it by the 3rd.

Nov 3, 2006, 02:52 PM
    How do I owe 1/3rd of the rent for that period. When I first paid my rent it was on dec. 10 and before the 10 of the next month I paid rent again... I don't understand... that was only a week and 1/3 third is a bit high when there's 4 weeks in the month. So what you are saying is for that one week I need to pay him rent. Now I'm confused because Theoretically
    Everything should have went 10-10.

I do plan on having him walk through with me when we do the move out inspection... I will be notifying him of this today... when I pay rent.

Nov 3, 2006, 05:08 PM
    Again you don't owe anything. Ignore Cville's advice here. Ypour rent period is 10th to 9th. So each mothn yout payment covers that period.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Month to month lease? [ 10 Answers ]

I live in Neenah, WI. I started renting in Oct. of 2004. My year lease was up in 2005, but on my rental agreement it went to an automatic month to month if no other agreement was signed, I didn't sign another one and it started month to month Oct 2005. On the agreement it said I cannot move out...

Year lease then month to month? [ 9 Answers ]

I live in Los Angeles California. I've lived in my apartment for over 1 year after signing a 12 month lease. Now that the 12 months on the lease are over, my landlord wants me to sign a new 12 month lease. I don't want to sign another 12 month lease. I may go to school in a few months and I'd...

Notice required on a month to month lease? [ 9 Answers ]

I signed a 1 year lease that ended on July 31, 2006 in Minnesota. The lease states that if resident stays in the apt after the lease ends, with managements approval, it becomes a month to month lease. I stayed. The notice period stated in the lease is 60 days, effective the last day of the month....

Month to Month Lease question [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Virginia. I have given my landlord (and roommate) 5 weeks notice that I intend to move out. I asked to prorate the month because I am moving out on the 18th of the month. Our lease is month to month. We have never signed any lease agreement-just verbal agreement on amount of rent and...

Mortgage payment per month [ 8 Answers ]

I just received 30,000 which I plan to use for a down payment on a house if my credit is average and I plan to spend about 150,000 on a house what am I looking at spending per month on a mortgage payment?

View more questions Search