Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DarkSkinGirl Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

Nov 6, 2009, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Boricua1 View Post
    I think chilli's hair was one of her euro features and truly I think all of the women that were fetured in the other comments are beautiful... but again , I hate being held to their beauty as MY standard.... especially by men... When my average looking non-black firends are readily hailed as beautiful but I'm told that they just aren't into Black women.... I don't knw what kind of features I have... nothing to be deemed "exotic" regular hair black girl hair... very curly not wooly, but definitely .. needs to be relaxed for straight looks. hangs mid length... like past shoulders.. my skin tone I guess is medium dark... like Gabrielle Union.. so nothing to stand out... but the same can be said or even more so for all of my hispanic/Arab family members and friends... all around the same tan comlexion... same natural hair color as the other... nothing "exotic" some dare I say are not at all pretty... (and I'm not hatin at all..) I'm just callin it like it is... but when I'm with them I am always last pick because I'm over looked because I'm not that fame staus beautiful girl...

I ain't no drop in the bucket either:D...trust I had my wannabe model days.. where I had some really impressive pics and comments and agents interested but I hate to admit it.. I never was the thin girl... so it was always the XXL and rapvideo type modelling that I was always directed to and I wasn't into being a booty model.. lol....
    Boricua why do you describe your hair as 'regular black girl hair'? Why do you have to label it in that way? Black hair is the most versatile type hair there is and we can do a lot with it. I never really had any hangups about my hair at all, and was never hung up on "good hair". With all the options we as black women have we still are never happy! They have pressing combs, perms, curling irons, weaves/wigs etc and we still are not content with all that we can do with our hair.

Nov 6, 2009, 08:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Boricua1 View Post
    I agree she was and is definitely pretty... and she was waaay prettier than joan or her other light counterparts... but I hate that they gave her dark skin complexes on the show. like when she rejected the super fine tall dark skin millionaire guy who loved her ccaus ehe was too black........ and when she had her daughter the first question she asked was if she had "good hair"... I stopped watching the show after that....
    Oh yeah, I remember that episode. When Toni gave birth to her biracial daughter, I really didn't like how the show addressed race at all. I hate Toni's mother saying, "no one is gonna see that the child is half white she is just gonna be a lightskin girl with good hair" And how the other cast member (forgot her name) kept stressing that she needs to identify as black and christian because in this country 'one drop of black blood makes you black' I couldn't believe that this contemporary show was promoting such old and racist beliefs about race in this country.

Nov 6, 2009, 08:43 AM
    I have a friend that is very chocolate, she's from Africa, and I noticed lately that she is defintely bleaching her skin. Parts of her skin is like a brown color, like the cream is slowly trying to lighten her but in a bad way because she has so much acne. And her skin looks dull and kind of washed out. It's not giving her that glow

Ive never seen a really really dark person like her get light before. I'm curious as to what that wuold look like. I'm not even sure if it will look right because so far it doesn't look good at all
    tai18 Posts: 130, Reputation: 2

Nov 6, 2009, 08:47 AM

I hate that term "regular black girl hair" it bothers me how every time a black girls hair is long or a different color people just automatically assume it must not be real my sister has long dark brown hair & is about gabriel unions color now when she was a bit darker then kelly rowlands as soon as summer would hit and the sun would make her hair lighter people would come up to her and ask "is your hair real?" "are you wearing weave" they would even try to put there hands through her hair just to make sure it is real. Anyway, I think the black community needs to let go of that stereo type or no one else will.
    BrownDeceit Posts: 366, Reputation: 24

Nov 6, 2009, 08:52 AM
    How dark is she? Because I went from Kelly Rowland's color to a golden caramel... And maybe you should help her? But then again maybe not. She might be jealous of your results and tell the whole world that you're bleaching. So just keep it to yourself. And can you show us a picture of your definition of "very chocolate" maybe then we'll see what she's working with. And she sounds like me when I started with Movate and Hot Movate. Acne EVERYWHERE. Patches EVERYWHERE people kept on asking my mother what was wrong with my skin. Lmao. And yep. The dull washed out look. Ugh. Not good! And yeah I never really understood why so many black girls get upset about their hair. Go get a perm, a weave, slick down some baby hairs and call it a day. Until someone starts to get to touching! Lol. I don't understand why black girls don't keep their weaves realistic to their facial features. You'd be surprised at how you can fool someone if you match your texture perfectly to your facial features. Like I saw this girl with this long straight kinky weave. I SWORE it was hers. It matched her facial features PERFECTLY. But then she said it was a weave. I was like "omg" that's exactly how people are when they find out my curls are not really my curls. Lol.

Nov 6, 2009, 08:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tai18 View Post
    i hate that term "regular black girl hair" it bothers me how every time a black girls hair is long or a different color people just automatically assume it must not be real my sister has long dark brown hair & is about gabriel unions color now when she was a bit darker then kelly rowlands as soon as summer would hit and the sun would make her hair lighter ppl would come up to her and ask "is your hair real?" "are you wearing weave" they would even try to put there hands through her hair just to make sure it is real. Anyway, i think the black community needs to let go of that stereo type or no one else will.
    Tai. 90% of the time if a black girls hair is any color other than black. And she's not heavily mixed. It's a weave. And people assume it is. Not saying that people are right for questioning your sister. But it's reality. And if it's long and straight. Like seriously. Who is going to believe that? I buy curly Indian human hair, slick down some baby hairs in front. And keep it only 3 inches past my shoulders. Everyone thinks its mine. My friend who is really really dark and has beautiful symmetrical African features buys rough kinky yaki hair that blends perfectly with her hair when it's permed and she keeps it at her shoulders. Everyone thinks its hers. I'm sorry. But when I see girls walking around with 22 inch weaves with any color besides black, I'm like, "Well you obviously want the world to know it's a weave"

Nov 6, 2009, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownDeceit View Post
    How dark is she? Because I went from Kelly Rowland's color to a golden caramel.... And maybe you should help her? But then again maybe not. She might be jealous of your results and tell the whole world that you're bleaching. So just keep it to yourself. And can you show us a picture of your definition of "very chocolate" maybe then we'll see what she's working with. And she sounds like me when I started off with Movate and Hot Movate. Acne EVERYWHERE. Patches EVERYWHERE people kept on asking my mother what was wrong with my skin. Lmao. And yep. The dull washed out look. Ugh. Not good! And yeah I never really understood why so many black girls get upset about their hair. Go get a perm, a weave, slick down some baby hairs and call it a day. Until someone starts to get to touching! Lol. I don't understand why black girls don't keep their weaves realistic to their facial features. You'd be surprised at how you can fool someone if you match your texture perfectly to your facial features. Like I saw this girl with this long straight kinky weave. I SWORE it was hers. It matched her facial features PERFECTLY. But then she said it was a weave. I was like "omg" that's exactly how people are when they find out my curls are not really my curls. Lol.
    My friend is originally much darker than Kelly Rowland. She is like Akon's color. She has been bleaching for awhile though, other people noted that she looks lighter but I never knew the dfifference because she is so dark. But now I'm starting to see it (two years later) and some areas of her face look like its trying to be brownskin,(the cheeks) and then she has a lot of acne and it looks dull. The color she is now: she's still real dark but its like a washed out lighter chocolate version of what she used to be. When I saw her out one day, she was standing under some lighting and her skin looked horrible; a lot of bumps and discoloration. She's probably using a very bad bleaching cream from the beauty supply or from the african store that is damaging her skin. I feel like saying something because IMO I think its destroying her skin. I don't want to say anything but then sometimes I do. When she gets around me she is always talking about how she has this beautiful chocolate darkskin & all the men want her yet she is bleaching with all this acne lol she is also colorstruck and wants a white man and mixed babies.

I should say something to her because she is quick to point out anything that is wrong with my skin for instance when the retin a was making me flaking she asked what it was! And had the nerve to be staring. She is also colorstruck and I notice she is always looking at my skin though.. to her I am 'lightskin' even though I am medium dark side like gabrielle union.

Nov 6, 2009, 09:26 AM
    Tai. 90% of the time if a black girls hair is any color other than black. And she's not heavily mixed. It's a weave. And people assume it is. Not saying that people are right for questioning your sister. But it's reality. And if it's long and straight. Like seriously. Who is going to believe that? I buy curly Indian human hair, slick down some baby hairs in front. and keep it only 3 inches past my shoulders. Everyone thinks its mine. My friend who is really really dark and has beautiful symmetrical African features buys rough kinky yaki hair that blends perfectly with her hair when it's permed and she keeps it at her shoulders. Everyone thinks its hers. I'm sorry. But when I see girls walking around with 22 inch weaves with any color besides black, I'm like, "Well you obviously want the world to know it's a weave"

I wear weave that matches my hair texture as well. Sometimes black women will ask why they can't see any tracks. I guess they feel that if you wear a weave they are supposed to see that its fake somewhere in your head. I remember I was wearing a course texture curly weave and this lady asked, "why does it look like its your hair? why can't I see anything?" some black women cannot comprehend the fact that you can have a weave that looks REAL. That when you wear a weave you really are not supposed to see tracks. But so many of us have gotten so damn lazy that this has become the norm

But when I wore my real hair black people sometimes still quetioned me, it was shoulder length.

Other black women with a nice length of hair never ask me any questions, it's the ones who have hangups about hair or could never achieve a decent length of hair that hate on you and question the authenticity of your hair.

I always had nice 4b hair that could blend in very well with weaves, my hair was always long and thick enough to cover up tracks etc so hair was never really a problem for me. But there are a lot of women out there who have problems making their weaves look natural etc and feel threatened by those who have nice enough hair to make it look good. And I have kinky hair, not soft hair but thick kinky hair and I never hated it. I can do what I want with it

Nov 6, 2009, 11:03 AM
    I don't want to out any women to prove my point. I don't like throwing women under the bus just to get my point across even if they are celebrities. But I will say this. Only 2 of these 19 women are wearing their real hair.

If they told me that it was their hair..... I would believe it! Why?

1) Her skin tone for one, the undertone of her skin, and her lips. Looks like a black girl with native American in her.

2) Her skin tone and her facial features. Looks like a black girl with relaxed hair.

3) Her skin tone, all of her facial features. Looks like a mixed woman with curly hair.

4) Her skin color, her facial features. Hair is not too thick, it doesn't have too much body, very natural. Looks like a black girl with naturally straight hair to be honest.

5) Her skin tone, her facial features, the hair is not too thick, it's not unrealistically long, looks like a black girl who knows how to take care of her hair and relaxed it.

6) Her skin tone, the undertone of her skin, the kinky texture of the curls, the poofyness of the curls, the slightly past shoulder length of the curls, her facial features, especially her thin nose.

7) Her skin tone, her nose, the body of the hair, not too thick, the length of the hair slightly past the shoulders.

8) Definitely the undertone of her skin! The length of the hair. And the brown hair color looks natural with the golden highlights.

9) The length of the hair, her skin tone, the body of the hair, not too thick. Reminds me of the random light skinned girl on the block. Lol.

10) Goes perfect with her chocolate skin tone, matches her facial features, nice length, a nice natural and THICK body to the hair, many african american women have a natural and healthy body to their hair, so even when it's pressed or permed, the kinkyness may be gone, but there is still a healthy body to it. (gotta love that, reminds me of my hair)

11) Matches her skin tone, short

12) We all know this isn't Ciara's hair. But if it was a random girl walking down the street. I'd be fooled

13) This is the hair that I wish more black girls would gravitate to when they purchase their hair weaves. This is SO BELIEVABLE (I won't say if it's real or not), even if this girl was 2 or 3 shades darker and she had more West African features, I would STILL believe it. It's a thick curl and it's a little past shoulder length. I don't know why girls are so obsessed with having it 22 inches with light browns and blonds. It's a DEAD GIVE AWAY.

14) I know this hair has highlights and it's long and super straight. But it doesn't have a lot of body to it and it really goes with her facial features. Her nose is very thin.

15) How many of you thought this was Joy Bryant's real hair? I'm only "outting" her because she outted herself on her blog. She ranted about how much she loves her weave. This hair looks so real to me. It matches her texture perfectly. And even though it's a little on the long side, the texture and color of the hair goes so good with her skin color and facial features. I was shocked when I found out she wore weave!

16) Her skin tone, facial features. Looks like a mixed girl with long hair.

17) Her skin tone. Some of Zoes features are very west african, but her golden brown skin tone and her lips go with the hair.

18) Her features, her nose especially, her golden bronze color, and the texture of the hair really go together. Not to mention her undertone.

19) The hair isn't too thick, it's on the long side. But if she told me it was hers, I wouldn't doubt it.

All women of all shades of brown can wear hair weaves land make them look believable. It bugs me when some women say "well just because she's black they assume it's a weave"... Because a lot of the times some women see Beyonce or Kelly Rowland with a certain style and they think it can work for them too! NO. NO. NO. NO. It has to match either your skin tone, or facial features, and it can't be too thick or too long. It CAN be thick and it CAN be long. But not TOO thick and TOO long. Sometimes I just wish I could grab girls and show them how much better and believable their weave would be if they matched it to their features or skin tone. Not everyone can rock certain styles. Just like some people look good in some colors, and others don't. End of story. Hope I didn't offend anyone. :)
    Vicky_D Posts: 254, Reputation: 19

Nov 6, 2009, 11:31 AM
    I don't want to out any women to prove my point. I don't like throwing women under the bus just to get my point across even if they are celebrities. But I will say this. Only 2 of these 19 women are wearing their real hair.

1) Her skin tone for one, the undertone of her skin, and her lips. Looks like a black girl with native American in her.

2) Her skin tone and her facial features. Looks like a black girl with relaxed hair.

3) Her skin tone, all of her facial features. Looks like a mixed woman with curly hair.

4) Her skin color, her facial features. Hair is not too thick, it doesn't have too much body, very natural. Looks like a black girl with naturally straight hair to be honest.

5) Her skin tone, her facial features, the hair is not too thick, it's not unrealistically long, looks like a black girl who knows how to take care of her hair and relaxed it.

6) Her skin tone, the undertone of her skin, the kinky texture of the curls, the poofyness of the curls, the slightly past shoulder length of the curls, her facial features, especially her thin nose.

7) Her skin tone, her nose, the body of the hair, not too thick, the length of the hair slightly past the shoulders.

8) Definitely the undertone of her skin! The length of the hair. And the brown hair color looks natural with the golden highlights.

9) The length of the hair, her skin tone, the body of the hair, not too thick. Reminds me of the random light skinned girl on the block. Lol.

10) Goes perfect with her chocolate skin tone, matches her facial features, nice length, a nice natural and THICK body to the hair, many african american women have a natural and healthy body to their hair, so even when it's pressed or permed, the kinkyness may be gone, but there is still a healthy body to it. (gotta love that, reminds me of my hair)

12) We all know this isn't Ciara's hair. But if it was a random girl walking down the street. I'd be fooled

13) This is the hair that I wish more black girls would gravitate to when they purchase their hair weaves. This is SO BELIEVABLE (I won't say if it's real or not), even if this girl was 2 or 3 shades darker and she had more West African features, I would STILL believe it. It's a thick curl and it's a little past shoulder length. I don't know why girls are so obsessed with having it 22 inches with light browns and blonds. It's a DEAD GIVE AWAY.

14) I know this hair has highlights and it's long and super straight. But it doesn't have a lot of body to it and it really goes with her facial features. Her nose is very thin.

15) How many of you thought this was Joy Bryant's real hair? I'm only "outting" her because she outted herself on her blog. She ranted about how much she loves her weave. This hair looks so real to me. It matches her texture perfectly. And even though it's a little on the long side, the texture and color of the hair goes so good with her skin color and facial features. I was shocked when I found out she wore weave!

17) Her skin tone. Some of Zoes features are very west african, but her golden brown skin tone and her lips go with the hair.

18) Her features, her nose especially, her golden bronze color, and the texture of the hair really go together. Not to mention her undertone.

19) The hair isn't too thick, it's on the long side. But if she told me it was hers, I wouldn't doubt it.

All women of all shades of brown can wear hair weaves land make them look believable. It bugs me when some women say "well just because she's black they assume it's a weave" ....Because a lot of the times some women see Beyonce or Kelly Rowland with a certain style and they think it can work for them too! NO. NO. NO. NO. It has to match either your skin tone, or facial features, and it can't be too thick or too long. It CAN be thick and it CAN be long. But not TOO thick and TOO long. Sometimes I just wish I could grab girls and show them how much better and believable their weave would be if they matched it to their features or skin tone. Not everyone can rock certain styles. Just like some people look good in some colors, and others don't. End of story. Hope I didn't offend anyone. :)
    LOL this is retarded, black girls can have very long hair if they want to. Yes, I mean all the way down to their asses. There are black girls that have very long fairy-tale hair that isn't a weave! My natural hair is down to my elbows so not quite repunzel, but still! The whole list seems kind of silly to me. I understand your point about not wearing a straight blonde weave if you're black and wanting it to be believable, but black women have no shame these days. They will readily admit when it is a weave, they don't care! If it's obvious it's a weave, they don't care. No one cares anymore if someone knows it's a weave, because people already know anyway. They just want it to LOOK GOOD in terms of the style. Not necessarily believable as hair that has grown out of their own heads.

Nov 6, 2009, 11:37 AM

Of course there are some black women with extremely long hair. Not denying that at all. But that's not the everyday. And. What looks good in terms of style is all fine and dandy. A skin tight black dress might look good on beyonce but if you are 400 pounds. The same skin tight black dress is going to look hella stupid on you.
    tai18 Posts: 130, Reputation: 2

Nov 6, 2009, 03:08 PM

If some black women wear weave then they wear weave the point I'm trying to make is that not ALL that have long hair have to be wearing weave.No one even pays attention to white women,latin women or asian & oriental women. Half of my chinese & filipino friends wear weave but no one would even guess that there hair is really shorter then their shoulders and they have fake clip ons in and even fake bang pieces.I see a lot of black girls here in canada with there REAL hair past their shoulders.

A 400lb woman can wear anything she wants just like a underweight 90lb woman because she's big she doesn't need to hide I'm sure a 90lb woman wouldn't look stupid in a skin tight dress with her bones & ribs popping out.

"All women of all shades of brown can wear hair weaves land make them look believable." - yeah so can white,latin and asian women, ever heard of Skin Weft?

Nov 6, 2009, 03:32 PM

I'm not even going to say anything to you. Lol
    EggoMini Posts: 161, Reputation: 5

Nov 6, 2009, 04:24 PM

All women of all shades of brown can wear hair weaves land make them look believable. It bugs me when some women say "well just because she's black they assume it's a weave" ....Because a lot of the times some women see Beyonce or Kelly Rowland with a certain style and they think it can work for them too! NO. NO. NO. NO. It has to match either your skin tone, or facial features, and it can't be too thick or too long. It CAN be thick and it CAN be long. But not TOO thick and TOO long. Sometimes I just wish I could grab girls and show them how much better and believable their weave would be if they matched it to their features or skin tone. Not everyone can rock certain styles. Just like some people look good in some colors, and others don't. End of story. Hope I didn't offend anyone. :)
    I love #6!

Nov 6, 2009, 05:10 PM

I know! Ugh that is gorgeous! I hate her! HaHa

Nov 6, 2009, 05:41 PM

Really 1,6,13, and 16 are like from the era that I first realized that there was such a thing as weaves for women (I'd seen a thing on TV about male hair replacement weaves & rugs, plugs, grafts etc).
    OMG, that remids me a funny internet advert I saw the other day. <looks around>

:D

Anyway, the old-school super full curly-wavy weave look is still my favorite... Diana Ross, Lisa Bonet, Jodi Watley, Taylor Dayne etc.

I had one around 1989 and it was huge and so heavy when I washed it... It was like a pet that lived on my head.lol!

When I went natural, I realized that my hair could do big on it's own for a day or two without getting snarly and a mess. Lately I keep it braided or smoothed back & bunned under a fake afro puff, or under a scarf or headwrap.

... I figure that my hair has drawn enough of my lifeblood, it's skin time.
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2009, 05:57 PM
    My hair is not naturally wavy or straight, it's just real curly like this

Majority of black women of any hair texture can grow their hair as long and just as fast as asians, caucasions, indians, etc. I usually just press my hair straight and it's not 22" but around 17", close to the girls in #15, #19, or Aaliyah

It's about caring for your hair differently than how we are taught. But majority of us can grow the hair very long and at the same speed as anyone else can.

Nov 6, 2009, 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Girl View Post
    My hair is not naturally wavy or straight, it's just real curly like this

Majority of black women of any hair texture can grow their hair as long and just as fast as asians, caucasions, indians, etc.
    I usually just press my hair straight and it's not 22" but around 17", close to the girls in #15, #19, or Aaliyah

It's about caring for your hair differently then how we are taught. but majority of us can grow the hair very long and at the same speed as anyone else can.
    So true, there are some cool Youtube ladies that have proven this... some are natural, some relaxed etc. all with awesome heads of hair.
    nikkicute Posts: 733, Reputation: 35

Nov 6, 2009, 06:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Girl View Post
    Wow. Weezing then it was meant for they guy to talk with you in order to show your "friend's" true colors...that girl is mentally sick for broadcasting mess like that and is definitely a hater. She showed how evil she really was and how she really felt about you all along, but she smacked herself in the face with that one.
    Rewind!

I know what that girl did was wrong but weezing had NO BUSINESS exchanging phone numbers with her friends boyfriend in the first place!
    Did everybody not see that part of the story? That was wrong!
    Makes me wonder what kind of "friend" weezing was to her as well.

Nov 6, 2009, 06:42 PM

Good point nikki!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Custom Made Skin Lightening cream [ 10 Answers ]

I use this skin lightening cream that is custom blended by this lady who owns a skincare salon here in Newyork. Now I use her product and it is very expensive for just a small amount, but it seems like it's the only product that works for me. I'll go and say to myself I can't afford this crap but...

Home-made/cheap for skin lightening that worked for me [ 16 Answers ]

I've tried various store bought and internet bought products to lighten skin and it was all a waste of my money I think what works just as well or better in my experience is a home-made mixture that involve some plain yogurt and lemon juice. This is the website I found the info on Beauty...

Pale, Dull, and Dry Skin As a Result of Skin Lightening? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, My name is linksys2000. I am new to the "Ask Me Help Desk" forum, and site. Thanks for all of the information and perspectives. Somehow, this wealth of information leads to better decisions and ultimately thoughtful choices. So thanks to all of you for promoting this site and...

Skin lightening for dark Afro skin/ max result [ 72 Answers ]

Hey, I've been reading the forums, it is so much info to absorb. Is their anyone who has had dark Afro- Amer or Afro- Carib and are know a fairer and more even complexion from using skin lighteners. If so can you lead me in a direction, I am willing to use any regime just not too expensive. Thanks...

View more questions Search