Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Howie628 Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2009, 01:51 PM
    Canning/food preservation
    I am trying to find the proper canning and food preservation methods for some sauces and salad dressings that I am planning to market, but am having trouble finding anything on how to can/preserve mayonnaise based and margarine based products. Does anyone have any words of wisdom or links that you can point me to that may lead me in the right direction. I have tried to water bath can the margarine based products and it breaks down the margarine. I have not tried the mayonnaise based products as I can only imagine what it will do to it. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    huur_duur Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2011, 06:48 PM
    Margarine contains emulsifiers (a molecule that has two ends, one that "favors" water, the other which "favors" the oil in the product) and diglycerides that help prevent the separation of the two in the food (keeping its texture consistent) and lets it remain solid at room temperature as well as at a standstill. I'm assuming using water to preserve such a margarine-based product would result in a throw off the balance which lets the consistency of margarine last (resulting in the breakdown of the margarine as it happened).
    Margarine also contains preservatives such as citric acid, sodium benzoate and/or, hydrogenated oil (or in the case of the newer ones- simply vegetable and/or kernel/palm oils).
    I would recommend researching on methods to preserve salad dressings that are not water based.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Conservation and preservation [ 3 Answers ]

This is for my science class, my instructor is saying to write a 200 word response in the following, provide a brief summary differentiaing conservation and preservation do you believe that humans can harvest forest resources in an environmentally friendly way? Or should national forest be left...

Tomato preservation or food processing tech & equipment. [ 3 Answers ]

Can anybody tell me Method for tomato preservation. Or Any Food processing techniques for tomato preservation. Anyone have the links for the same ?

Timber preservation [ 1 Answers ]

What are the methods of timber seasoning and methods of timber preservation

Timber preservation [ 1 Answers ]

Kindly explain about ASCU treatment(for preserving timber)if possible with references?

View more questions Search