Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2009, 08:42 PM
    I'm really glad about that
    It appears the asteroid Apophis is going to miss the Earth by 30,000 miles in 2029 and there is only a 1 in 250,000 chance it will hit the Earth in 2036. Scientists have just lengthened the odds on our survival but really I think they are giving us a snowballs chance in hell.

Asteroid Apophis less likely to hit Earth | World News | News.com.au

I am glad that the odds are longer, not because I'm necessarily going to be here for the event, but I might stick around for the fireworks. No one needs such a sudden end to global warming after we have taken such pains to prevent it. An asteroid gives climate change a whole new meaning. I wonder has anyone figured out yet how it is that the Earth has warm, even hot, periods that suddenly end. I expect it is all down to solar variability, greenhouse gas abatement by the polar bears, or just maybe there used to be more of these planet killers paying us a visit.
    shihouzhuge Posts: 131, Reputation: 6

Oct 7, 2009, 10:22 PM

What you said is exact, but I wonder why few persons recognize the dangers...
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2009, 10:45 PM
    Ne how ma
    Quote Originally Posted by shihouzhuge View Post
    What you said is exact, but i wonder why few persons recognize the dangers...
    Well nice to see someone from your neck of the woods might give us a fresh perspective:D
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2009, 05:07 AM
    If we tried to develop an asteroid or meteor interceptor we would be told " It doesn't work Ronnie Raygun" .

Update on the solar activity .rumors are that 2 sunspot were detected last month. For those who understand it we are now in a multi-year solar minimum cycle which is now the longest in a century . I'm looking forward to walking across the East River in the winter like the lithographs of old . But it's going to suck having a shortened growing season for my veggie garden in the coming ice age.

Oct 8, 2009, 07:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    well nice to see someone from your neck of the woods might give us a fresh perspective:D
    :confused::confused:
    It's hard for me to catch your idea...
    Especially the phrase 'your neck of the woods ',I guess it means 'your country',but I'm not so sure...
    Can you explain that in a simle way:o
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2009, 08:01 AM

It is hard to translate those Australian slangs sometimes .

But yes ; he was greeting you and welcoming your perspective from where you live .

Oct 8, 2009, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    It is hard to translate those Australian slangs sometimes .

But yes ; he was greeting you and welcoming your perspective from where you live .
    I'm on it ,haha... :D
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2009, 02:51 PM
    Ne how ma again
    Quote Originally Posted by shihouzhuge View Post
    :confused::confused:
    It's hard for me to catch your idea...
    Especially the phrase 'your neck of the woods ',i guess it means 'your country',but i'm not so sure...
    Can you explain that in a simle way:o
    The phrase means from where you liive indicating that where you live is not the same as where I live. I expect that you might think a little differently about some things and I notice you have an interest in improving your english. My intention was not to confuse you
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2009, 08:13 PM

I'm not so worried about some asteroid in the distant future. I am very worried about what they are going to be doing to the moon tomorrow morning at 7:30AM Oct 9. They are supposed to blow a huge hole in the moon's surface! That is going to unleash all sorts of problems to rain down upon this lovely Earth in the form of unknown bacteria, viruses, etc. in the dust storm that will fall to earth in about a month's time. What for havoc that is going to cause. Forget about the asteroid - that is a possible maybe. Tomorrow's assault on the moon is real!
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2009, 08:42 PM
    The luna big bang
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    I'm not so worried about some asteroid in the distant future. I am very worried about what they are going to be doing to the moon tomorrow morning at 7:30AM Oct 9. They are supposed to blow a huge hole in the moon's surface!! That is going to unleash all sorts of problems to rain down upon this lovely Earth in the form of unknown bacteria, viruses, etc. in the dust storm that will fall to earth in about a month's time. What for havoc that is going to cause. Forget about the asteroid - that is a possible maybe. Tomorrow's assault on the moon is real!!
    Don't worry the sky isn't going to fall. Earth has been protected for a long time by an atmosphere that tends to burn up particles from space, and even it it doesn't, that dust has been bombarded by all sorts of radiation for a long time and should be fairly inert. Also the moon's gravity should pull some of it back. I assume you don't like scientific research on other worlds. How did you feel about our contamination of Mars?

I don't think we will see much dust from a 2 metre crater and this sort of thing happens all the time, it's such a big story that only the most obscure references are interested
    US rocket ready to crash into moon- Hindustan Times
    Look, go back to sleep and the problem will probably have passed by the time you reawake
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2009, 02:30 AM

Twinkie tell me you are not seriously worried about the lunar probe LCROSS . It's too bad I'm at work .I'd love to see the live broadcast scheduled for 6:15AM ET today(impact at 7:30AM) .

You missed the import of this event . It is part of our ongoing 'crash for clunkers program'. But I do have to correct NASA's spelling . It's not LCROSS... it's LaCrosse.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2009, 05:10 AM

I saw the live impact, the unilateral attack on the moon by Obama's NASA was rather anticlimactic for the average viewer.
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2009, 02:33 PM
    It's over
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    I saw the live impact, the unilateral attack on the moon by Obama's NASA was rather anticlimactic for the average viewer.
    And I expect the results to be equally anticlimatic, sometimes I wonder why scientists don't actually think outside their square before doing this sort of thing
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2009, 06:21 PM

The Ebola virus was not of this earth. The origin of this virus was from outer space. It landed in Africa, made a lot of people ill and then they died and then Ebola disappeared and then reared it's ugly head again.

There are a lot of pathogens and viruses that come down to Earth latched onto meteors and survive. Only time will tell if there has been anything distrubed on the moon's surface that has drifted down to earth causing unknown diseases. Don't think that our atmosphere can totally protect us from this happening.
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2009, 03:06 AM
    Norman Mailer also thought the lunar landing in 1969 would unleash cosmic forces on earth . But Mailer was more concerned with the forces in the human mind and psyche . Perhaps that explains the Nobel committee's bizarre selection yesterday. Makes sense ;some moon dust surely sprinkled down in 1919 when Wilson was awarded the prize for the potential his utopian 14 Points had. The fact that they were a complete failure and helped plunge the world into another world war is besides the point.

Twinkie You need not worry about the cosmic dust kicked up by LCROSS ;by all reports there wasn't any spectacular plume. Clete ;I don't worry about the scientists with their eyes pointed towards the skys bombing the moon . I worry about the scientists who would for whatever reason travel to Iran and help them build nasty devices to bomb the earth.
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2009, 02:05 PM
    Norman Mailer also thought the lunar landing in 1969 would unleash cosmic forces on earth . But Mailer was more concerned with the forces in the human mind and psyche . Perhaps that explains the Nobel committee's bizarre selection yesterday. Makes sense ;some moon dust surely sprinkled down in 1919 when Wilson was awarded the prize for the potential his utopian 14 Points had. The fact that they were a complete failure and helped plunge the world into another world war is besides the point.

Twinkie You need not worry about the cosmic dust kicked up by LCROSS ;by all reports there wasn't any spectacular plume. Clete ;I don't worry about the scientists with their eyes pointed towards the skys bombing the moon . I worry about the scientists who would for whatever reason travel to Iran and help them build nasty devices to bomb the earth.
    Same thinking Tom the end justifies the means
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Oct 10, 2009, 05:47 PM
    Guess I'll keep contributing to my retirement fund.
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Oct 10, 2009, 06:47 PM

You yet again manage to turn another thread into an anti-obama thread.
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2009, 02:41 AM

Perhaps I was panning the Nobel committee instead.
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2009, 08:30 PM
    Talk's cheap
    perhaps I was panning the Nobel committee instead.
    I think they need more than panning, they need a good kick up the risarozza oblonggarta, this was a disgusting display of kowtowing. Just because Obama has a vision for a world free of nuclear weapons doesn't deserve a prize, talks cheap. Now if he had unilaterally disarmed the US, or reduced the nuclear arsenals to 100 weapons, but getting a peace prize for tokenism. All I can say is his opposition couldn't have achieved much

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search