Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    minks13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2009, 09:32 PM
    Life estate and forclosures
    My house is going in foreclosure, but there is a life estate living in the home. My question- if the bank will own the home what happens to the life estate person, and can someone buy the home with a life estate to the property
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 7, 2009, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by minks13 View Post
    My house is going in forclosure, but there is a life estate living in the home. My question- if the bank will own the home what happens to the life estate person, and can someone buy the home with a life estate to the property
    The life tenant probably signed off on the mortgage (or the mortgage was created subsequent to the mortgage), in which case, upon foreclosure, the life tenant can be evicted.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 7, 2009, 11:18 AM

After foreclosure the life estate will no longer exist. Depending on the terms of the estate what was the duties of the owner to protect the estate, they may have some legal grounds againt the owner, but that would be detailed in the estate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Life Estate [ 1 Answers ]

My mother has a life estate. I would like to have her siblings release their interest in the property to me. How do I do that?

Loan and life estate [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I was asked this question by my neighbor and I have no clue about this so I am throwing it to you guys in hopes of getting an aswer for her. If someone is on a will that says life estate and the owner of that house { house is paid off} wants to get a line of credit to do some remodeling on...

Life estate [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Can some one explain to me what the difference between a life estate and an estate being gifted to some one in a will. I have a friend who says she was gifted with a house from her inlaws and then said it was a life estate. When I asked her to explain she says they were the same thing....

Life Estate [ 2 Answers ]

My mother was given a life estate and the trust also states my older sister has a life estate; the trustee had the attorney that wrote the trust give my sister a letter telling her she has the same rights as our mother to the property. However, we have been researching this Life Estate issue. It...

View more questions Search