Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jwvance Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2009, 07:24 PM
    Shower Arm Escutcheon
    I live in a mobil home with very thin sheet rock. Over the years the show arm escutcheon has cut a hole in the sheetrock. My thought was to put some kind of backing plate behind the escutcheon to give it something to pull against. I have looked everywhere and all I can find is platese/escutcheon for shower handles.

Any idea where I might find a backing plate that would work for this?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2009, 07:37 PM

Get a large heavy metal washer with a 3/4 inch hole in it spray it the color you want it. Take the shower head off the pipe or a take the arm out of the pipe. Slip the washer over the arm along with a new escutcheon, use a little silicon to hold the washer in place against the wall.

Just an idea.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 6, 2009, 08:37 PM

Cut a hole suggests movement. Can you explain why there is movement? Can you grab the shower arm and move it into and out of the wall, it should have been secured with a drop eared 90. Cello CP735I-08 - Cello - 1/2" CxF 90° Drop Ear Elbow
    jwvance Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 05:47 AM
    There is a lot of movement. I am going to have look in the wall to figure out why it is not secured. My shower pipe is not copper. My entire hous is the piped with CPVC. I will look in the wall and reply.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 7, 2009, 05:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jwvance View Post
    There is alot of movement. I am going to have look in the wall to figure out why it is not secured. My shower pipe is not copper. My entire hous is the piped with CPVC. I will look in the wall and reply back.
    You shower arm should screw into a drop eared ell,(see image) and the ears of that ell should be secured by two screws in a piece of backing. Regards, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 7, 2009, 12:24 PM

I always wondered when they will come up with an escutcheon that will hook up through the hole and behind the drywall ( something like a toggle bolt ), grabs the shower arem, and attaches escutcheon to it. It is a common problem you run into in every other house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for the right escutcheon [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, my wife is driving me crazy. The chrome escutcheon in one of our bathtubs need to be changes to a brushed nickel or aluminum. It is 2 tiles long by 1 tile high (4 inch tiles in bathtub wall) and is for the hot and cold water valves. Does anyone know where I can find this? PLEASE, SHE'S DRIVING...

Cannot remove escutcheon or stem [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a 8 inch widespread faucet (two) and both of them have porcelain handles with no button, they left one of each faucet is loose and out... I am trying to replace handles, but stems also seem worn and if used they leak, these faucets are at least 10 years old. How do I know if the stem...

Removing escutcheon [ 1 Answers ]

I am fixing a widespread two handle faucet in the bathroom. Manufacturer Phylrich. Have removed the handle - have a conical escutcheon with top of step sticking out, nothing else. Escutcheon doesn't budge - any suggestions? Can you also tell me what is it supposed to do - screw off (and if so,...

Removing escutcheon from basin to replace washer [ 18 Answers ]

We have several dripping taps (faucets) in the house and want to replace the washers. We cannot remove the escutcheons from the basins despite having tried several methods. We've used a "Boa" tool and a shifting spanner (with cloth wrapped around to prevent scratching the chrome), but neither...

View more questions Search