Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    accountessa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2009, 05:47 PM
    Wiring money overseas to non US citizen?
    Hello,

I am US citizen and I would like to wire my mom (non US citizen) some money from my checking account.
    Is this possible? Any red flag?
    What's the maximum amount I can wire in one transaction or more? I intend to wire about 70K-80K.
    My broker told me that this is money laundering? According to the definition of ML, it shouldn't be...

Thanks in advance.
    JZH Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2009, 07:13 PM

Hi accountessa

I am a US Citizen and I've wired money to my mom in China before, and I had no problems at all. I don't think wiring money to your relatives abroad will be an issue with any government agency, and there normally is a limit on how much you can send in one transaction, please double check with your bank to find out more, and from my prevoius experience on sending money to my mom, as long as you don't send onver 10k per transaction, there will be no problems and you wouldn't raise any red flags. Hope this helps.
    accountessa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 03:38 AM
    JZH,

Thanks for replying. I need to wire much more than 10K, it's about a surgery that one of my relatives needs to get.
    I asked a bank if there is a limit, they said no, but now I have another question. What kind of red flag should I be worried about? I have the money in my cheching account coming out from a brokerage account I've bee doing business with for a few years now.
    So I paid all the taxes necessary .

Thanks again.
    JZH Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 11:32 PM

accountessa

I'm not sure exactly what the rules and regulations are regarding wiring money overseas, but I had a friend who worked in a bank and he told me that whenever someone wires more than 10k at a time overseas, the bank is required to file a report with the FBI, CIA, and some other government agencies, and they will start a investigation regarding the sender and the receipient, since this is a new rule they came up with after 9/11, to prevent international funding of terrorism and money laundering. I'm not too sure about whether this is true or not, but just be sure to get ready to answer some questions if it's true.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tricky - 401k vs Roth when potentially moving overseas (non US citizen) [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, First of all, kudos to everybody answering questions in this forum. It is great to get such quality advice for free. Here my question: I am a German national working here in the US (green card application currently filed). Me and my fiancé are thinking about moving to Germany...

Gifting money overseas [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning to send money from my US Account to "my" account in a foreign country (I understand that I have to file Form FBAR). Then, I am going to gift money to my mom who is living in a foreign country. 1) Am I subject to any tax in the US? 2) In case I am subject to a gift tax in the US,...

US citizen living overseas paying US state taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US citizen residing permanently the UK(my last US residence was NJ in 1997). I do, however, occasionally earn income in the US, as a self-employed musician. This year, I worked in NY for 2 months, and KY for 5 days. I received 1099-MISC for both jobs(ie no state or federal taxes were...

View more questions Search