Ask
    dpeplow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2009, 05:50 PM
    Treated wood
    How long do you wait before painting treated wood
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2009, 06:02 PM

I know that some treated wood you get has been in a warehouse for a while. However, I know that in most cases it takes about a year for the wood to be paintable/stainable. If you think it may have been in a warehouse for some time... the best way to tell is if it has started cracking and splits easily when nailed.

The moisture from the chemicals make it soft and easy to bend and nail, however when it is gone the wood is subject to expansion and shrinkage due to the climate, often causing it to have cracks.
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2009, 06:06 PM

I know that some treated wood you get has been in a warehouse for a while. However, I know that in most cases it takes about a year for the wood to be paintable/stainable. If you think it may have been in a warehouse for some time... the best way to tell is if it has started cracking and splits easily when nailed.

The moisture from the chemicals make it soft and easy to bend and nail, however when it is gone the wood is subject to expansion and shrinkage due to the climate, often causing it to have cracks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 5, 2009, 06:35 PM

Or you buy or rent a moisture meter and test down to about 15%
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2009, 08:52 PM

Sorry for the double post.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pressure treated wood [ 3 Answers ]

Is it necessary to install vapor barriers in a basement, either on walls or floors when using pressure treated lumber?

New outside treated wood steps [ 3 Answers ]

Can you paint damp treated lumber,laytex, and will it stick, I want to mix some sand in some outdoor paint then paint some steps I just built for traction.

Pressure Treated Wood [ 6 Answers ]

We recently installed pressure treated wood on our balcony. The balcony is in ful sunlight from daylight to dusk. We have heard that you must treat the wood as soon as you install it and then wait to stain/paint it. Is there a particular treatment and when should it be applied?

Painting treated wood [ 7 Answers ]

How long do I need to wait before painting treated wood?

Pressure treated wood [ 1 Answers ]

I have been reading up on the toxicity of pressure treated wood, and am aware of it's dangers, I recently had a deck built with the "new" PT wood and am concerned. 1. How toxic is the new material to touch? 2. Should this be replaced with redwood, and in fact only used for non-human contact...

View more questions Search