Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    antzig Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 12:20 PM
    Harbor Breeze Universal Remote Control Wall Unit
    I was wondering... I have purchased in the past about 3 "sets" of the Harbor Breeze Remote Control Wall Units where you have both a remote control that controls the light and/or ceiling fan, and also a wall unit (that you put in place of your regular light switch) that can also be used to operate the light and/or fan separately. My question is this... if I have a ceiling fan installed currently that came with its own remote (a different brand - Hampton Bay I believe), can I purchase JUST the Harbor Breeze wall unit device (MINUS the remote) and use the existing remote that I already have? I just wasn't sure if the two would be able to "communicate" with each other, especially being different brands?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2006, 02:25 PM
    I'm a little bit confused as to what you are asking.. . But there is a good chance the two different brands may be able to communicate, if you can set them to the same frequency. It will take some trial and error and is not guaranteed.
    antzig Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 04:34 PM
    I apologize for the confusion - it's kind of hard to put into words what I'm trying to ask! Anyhow, I just needed to know if there was a way to install a wall control unit (in place of the light switch) that would communicate with an already EXISTING remote control that came with my fan (especially if they were 2 different brands)? I think you answered the question, so I will have my "handyman" try it out & see what he comes up with. It's just that if you buy the wall control unit & remote control together it's about $50, but you can buy JUST the wall control unit WITHOUT the remote & it's like $30. I was just trying to save myself a little money since I don't really need the remote control in this particular case; however, I DO want to still be able to operate the fan with the remote control I already have OR by the wall unit. Hopefully that makes a little more sense! (Clear as mud, right?! ) Thanks for your help!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2006, 11:36 PM
    I wasn't aware you could buy the wall units separately-- are you sure they are the remote type, and not the kind that require a third wire?

If they are the remote type, try it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Harbor Breeze Ceiling fan w/remote, help! [ 4 Answers ]

I just puchased a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan w/ 2 lights(1 up) and remote control. I have 4 wires(black,white.red and bare) out of ceiling box. Remote has black and white on one side and black,white,blue,and orange on other which match those coming from fan. Do I need red from box to operate other...

Harbor Breeze Remote Issue [ 13 Answers ]

I have three ceiling fans that I installed a couple of years ago with the remote control. I had them all set to the same freq. so one remote contolled them all and I have had not problems until now. After leaving for a week on vacation we got back and none of the three fans will respond to the...

Harbor breeze remote control [ 2 Answers ]

We purchased a house and the remotes for one of our fans has come unprogrammed I know the code what steps do I need to follow to reprogram the remote with the fan.

Harbor breeze fan with hunter remote [ 1 Answers ]

I pulled the fan from another room where it was working fine to put it in another bedroom. When I hook up the wiring according to the receiver I get nothing from the fan. When I bypasseb the remote receiver I got only the fan spinning and the lights wouldn't turn on. I didn't note the wiring when I...

Hampton Bay Remote and Harbor Breeze Remotes [ 1 Answers ]

I have two ceiling fans in two adjacent rooms. One is a Hampton Bay and the other a Harbor Breeze. Both remotes work the Harbor Breeze fan but all of a sudden neither remote will operate the Hampton Bay. It worked fine one day ago. The batteries are both new. The dip switches in both remotes are...

View more questions Search