Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    femalebirdcarve Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2009, 03:10 PM
    Identifying artist name on zuni bolo tie
    I purchased a vintage zuni sterling bolo tie in a traditional zuni geometric pattern of coral turquoise and mother of pearl. There is no silver between the different colored stones.
    It is triangular in shape and has the initial IN on one end and faintly visible letters which may be M Booque. Can anyone identify this artist?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 2, 2009, 03:26 PM

Not unless, probably, you can take a picture of the signature. Otherwise, how would we know who it was. The zuni tribe settled in the southwest US, spanish origin, (they are supposed to be native american, but doubtful) name sounds like basque. Identifying themselves by the name of the river they settled on, the zuni. They produce, or did produce some of the most amazing pottery. I had no idea they produced jewellery as well, but given their artistic benefits, probably so. You must give us a picture of the jewellery, I would like to see the pattern.

Tick
    femalebirdcarve Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 09:45 AM

I was able to find the answer for my question on Google. The artist is Clarence Booque. There is also a Marcel Booque, who may be a relative. Clarence Booque is a noted Zuni artist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ID Zinu Bolo Tir artist [ 6 Answers ]

Hi Can someone ID the Zuni / Navaho artist who made a bolo tie. Inscribed on the back is the initials " G& AB". 49 teardrop stones in cincentric circles. Thanks Quizkid

Zuni artist [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to locate a Zuni indian jewlery artist John Q. Bowarnie to find out if he is still doing his wonderful work has anyone ever heard of him?

Identifying signature/hallmark on vintage Navajo bolo. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Have recently bought a silver bolo which I believe is Navajo in origin. I was told it was at least 60 years old. Quite large it measures 3 1/2 x 2 3/4 inches and weighs on a postal scale 120 grams. The front is set with pieces of coral and turquoise and in the center is a dimensional figure...

View more questions Search