Wanaji Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 05:52 AM
    Bank Account Levy
    I Found this post:
    Old Feb 17, 2006, 02:23 PM
    Glorybzzz
    Glorybzzz is an unknown quantity at this point
    Angry Bank Account Seizure
    I was married less than a year ago. Up to this point I have had a bank account for 13 years, no problems and no outstanding debt. But my new husband has a debt that is unresolved and now creditors/collectors has put a freeze on my bank account because I recently added his name. All of the monies in there are mine, direct deposit from my employment. Is this fair -- this is only my money, he has deposited nothing. I only added his name a month ago and two weeks later they have frozen my entire pay. Is there such a thing as an "injured spouse" claim for something like this -- Can someone help me?
    The exact thing just happened to me. (except for the just married part) Someone replied that she needed to file a motion to Quash. Could anyone please tell me how to go about this? The debt is for child support arrears out of CO, and we're in UT.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2006, 06:59 AM
    Hello wanj:

The opposite of freezing an account would be putting money in there.

Dude! I have no clue what you're talking about. Go into detail, please.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 1, 2006, 07:01 AM
    So, if I follow this, you added someone as a joint tenant on your bank account. That person is a deadbeat who is in arrears on his child support. Someone (probably a family services agency in CO) found this out and froze the account.

My advice: tell the deadbeat to pay his debt and the agency will release your account.

If you want to fight it, get an attorney who can try and quash the levy on the grounds that none of the funds in the account are the deadbeat's.
    Wanaji Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 07:21 AM
    The account had a levy placed on it because of the interest CO said my spouse still owed. His daughter is 24 yrs old, so it's not a "dead-beat" issue, just a greedy CO. I didn't find out about the seizure until I had already started spending my paycheck that had been deposited. (when things started bouncing) I've opened a new account in just my name, for my future pay, but his disability will still be put into this account. As far as I knew his disability is supposed to be exempt, but I guess what I was asking is how do I go about making sure it's going to be considered "exempt"?

Also.. this was a checking account, used for day to day expenses. There is a clear "paper" trail that shows that the money seized was my paycheck. (of course, as soon as it hit a joint account, it was "our" paycheck) I understand.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 1, 2006, 07:33 AM
    And who is telling you this about "interest"? I've never heard about interest on support payments. Interest is charged on money borrowed. There might be late charges and fines, but not interest. The fact that the daughter is 24 has no bearing.

If your spouse disputes the amount that CO says he owes, he needs to go to them for an accounting. Sounds to me like he's handing you a line about CO being greedy.

But my advice still stands, you need to get an attorney to fight the garnishment.
    Momsside Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 01:41 PM
    This is a prime example of the need to get to know someone before you marry. Sounds to me like you are pretty screwed and guess what? He probably knew what he was doing all along. Arrearages, my dear, are accumulated over years because the deadbeat parent has not paid his/her court ordered child support. Arrearages will keep accumulating, with interest, until the debt is paid - regardless of the age of the child at this point. My advice to you: choose more wisely next time. Obviously, this one was not a winner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank Account Seizure [ 14 Answers ]

I was married less than a year ago. Up to this point I have had a bank account for 13 years, no problems and no outstanding debt. But my new husband has a debt that is unresolved and now creditors/collectors has put a freeze on my bank account because I recently added his name. All of the monies...

Bank Account Garnishments [ 5 Answers ]

My bank account was recently frozen by a company for a vehicle I co-signed for with a friend in 1999 who had insufficient credit. It was repossessed without my knowledge until much later :mad:. The car was purchased solely for my friend to use as I had a car;never drove it or rode in it. Both of...

Can they freeze my bank account [ 2 Answers ]

One more question if I was to get A judgement. Can they freeze my bank account There nothing in it. The only money that's coms is my s.s disabilty every month?? :confused: :confused: :

Levy on Account, Wife's Debt, Help [ 11 Answers ]

An attorneys office placed a levy on our bank accounts 1 week ago today for a debt my wife owes. I am currently separated from my wife, however, she is on the account. She does not work and all the money in this bank account came from my direct deposit and I need it to support our 3 children. This...

Bank account levy [ 5 Answers ]

We live in Missouri. My husband has had a levy placed upon our bank account from a repo from several years ago. What will happen to the account? This account is seldom used, but if this is what they want to do, then should I start making monthly deposits in it? How much are they entitled to?...

View more questions Search