Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    truelove1111 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2009, 07:17 PM
    Acceleration and displacement
    What distance does an object travel if it accelerates uniformly from rest at a rate of 6m/s/s for 6s? What is the car's displacemtn if the acceleration is directed to the north?
    mathheadincloud Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2009, 07:25 PM

displacement = 0.5 * acceleration * time^2; plug in the values and you're done.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 29, 2009, 08:03 PM

each second the object travels an additional 6m than the prevvious second: 6+12+18+24+30+36= 126m
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 30, 2009, 06:02 AM

Mathheadincloud has it right.

In the first second the object actually travels just 3 m, not 6. After that it does inded go 6 m further each second than it did the second before:

3m + 9m + 15m +... +33m.

But this is a strange way to try to solve this problem. It's easiest to just use the formula d = 1/2 a t^2.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 1, 2009, 03:28 PM

Serves me right for doing calcs in my head after 39 years of working in a school. You are correct, the speed is zero starting and 6 after one second so its mean speed was 3, entered the next second at 6 ending at 12, mean of 9, 12 to 18 with a mean of 15, mathhead are you following this? I think mathead is maybe a middle schooler or freshman so I tried to answer him the way we do in 8th grade, freshman ISP

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Displacement Reaction [ 2 Answers ]

OK... I did this experiment combining magnesium ribbon and zinc chloride. Unless I'm mistaken the equation looks like this: Mg (s) + ZnCl2 (aq) ---> MgCl2 (aq) + Zn (s) However, during the experiment the reactants effervecsed. Was this chlorine gas before it recombined with magnesium or...

Acceleration vs Displacement [ 1 Answers ]

Just done crash cart experiment with ticker tape. Question reads, "Assuming that the acceleration is constant, then so long as we use the same time interval in each case, displacement will be proportional to acceleration. Explain why we can say that displacement is proportional to acceleration...

Finding average acceleration and point acceleration [ 1 Answers ]

A car initially traveling eastward turns north by traveling in a circular path at uniform speed as in the figure below. The length of the arc ABC is 260 m, and the car completes the turn in 40.0 s. I need to find the acceleration at a point 35 degrees below the horizontal in terms of vectors I...

Displacement, Velocity, and Acceleration [ 2 Answers ]

The altitude of a hang glider is increasing at a rate of 6.90 m/s. At the same time, the shadow of the glider moves along the ground at a speed of 14.0 m/s when the sun is directly overhead. Find the magnitude of the glider's velocity in m/s.:(

Substituting derivative of acceleration for acceleration [ 1 Answers ]

Can the derivative of acceleration be subsituted for a in f=ma?

View more questions Search