Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rd16917 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2006, 07:42 AM
    Thermostat Wiring Question
    I was going to replace my Aprilaire 8334 thermostat (Bryant gas furnace) with a Honeywell programmable, but after removing the Aprilaire found that builder cut a hole in the wall bigger than the new thermostat. So I reinstalled the Aprilaire, and all seems to work except the heat won't shut off after reaching set temp. (Differential is set to 1 degree.) Plus there's a lot of clicking going on when I turn heat on.

I noticed when I was removing the old thermostat that the blue wire was attached to W terminal. But I didn't note where the white wire was attached. (I know, I'm kicking myself for not labeling the wires before I removed the old thermostat - duh - lesson learned.)

So I wired everything according to color code:
    Red - RH (jumper to RC)
    White - W
    Yellow - Y
    Blue - B
    Green - G

Does the blue wire go to the W terminal? If so, where does the white wire go?

Thanks for the help.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2006, 12:02 PM
    Usually there is a 24 volt AC transformer in the furnace with the secondary winding connected to a red wire running to the thermostat and a blue wire, common, to the gas valve, A/C relay, and fan relay. From the thermostat there will be white wire to the gas valve, yellow to the A/C, and green to the fan. The thermostat is wired to switch the power from the red to the white, yellow, and green as needed with the blue completing the circuit. Most thermostats and furnaces have the contacts labeled R, B or C, W, Y, and G for the corresponding wire colors. Many have RH and RC to allow separate transformers for heating and cooling. With just one red wire, jumper them. It may be wired to have the A/C control wires return to the furnace and its controls and then a second wire goes to the A/C unit. Internal wiring may replace the green wire if the thermostat does not give you the option of fan only or continuous fan. Digital or programmable thermostats may need the blue wire connected to them.

Go to the furnace and see where the blue and white are connected. It will work with a blue wire running from one W terminal to the other, but you may as well follow the convention.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2006, 03:26 PM
    Tell me where the wires go at the furnace. The Blue terminal is for a heat pump reversing valve and wouldn't be used unless you have a heat pump.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostat Wiring Question [ 1 Answers ]

While installing a new thermostat I accidentally attached the blue wire (common) to the heat damper terminal on the thermostat. It is a common 5 wire set-up with red being hot, white being the heat relay, the yellow being compressor contact and the green being the fan. I lost power to the...

Basic heat only thermostat wiring question [ 5 Answers ]

I am replacing a Mears w/ a Lux LV2-1042: Double Pole, Line Voltage, Heating Only Thermostat. This is radiant floor elec heat. Am not sure which wires connect to which. The thermostat has 4 wires (2 red, 2 black) Out of the wall comes, from the top- 1 black wire (hot), 1 white (neutral) and the...

Thermostat wiring question [ 1 Answers ]

OK, I have an old thermostat that needs to be replaced. Just to be thorough, the old thermostat is a Goodman mod #HPTD18-60. It's a 24v line that controls both heating and cooling and has a multistage heat pump. The new thermostat is a honeywell RTH7400D. The old thermostat uses the...

Yet Another Thermostat Wiring Question [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I hate it when my first post in a forum is a question, instead of a contribution, but maybe I can field something else in another forum for Karma :) Anyway, I'm installing a new Honeywell RHT7400D Heating/AC thermostat. Its replacing an analog Weathertron thermostat, hooked up to a heat...

Thermostat Wiring Question [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks in advance for your help... I just purchased a large older home, and I want to replace the thermostats. They are Honeywell Chronotherm III's and the digital display's are impossible to read. I'm thinking of replacing them with Hunter AutoSaver 550's. The house has a hydro air system,...

View more questions Search