Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shanet Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2006, 11:08 PM
    Student Loan: Garnishment without judgment?
    Since credit cards can't garnish wages without a judgment , can a student loan do it then ?:confused:
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2006, 04:51 AM
    No garnishment is valid without a signed court order. Check with the local court a obtain a copy of anything with your name on it. Go to the bank a get a copy of the garnishment order to see if it is signed by a judge.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 31, 2006, 07:04 AM
    No, but any creditor can obtain a judgement for unpaid debts which will go on your credit record.
    Shanet Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2006, 02:28 PM
    Thank you so very much. The info given helped me out so much. And scott I will stick to one question rather than a million

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student Loan Interest Deduction [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 student loans, but interest paid on both are under $600 for the year 2005, so I didn't get any 1098E forms. Do I need any evidence to show the interest I'm claiming for adjustment? Such as pay slips which shows the amount of interest paid? Thanks

Student loan deduction [ 6 Answers ]

Hi For the year 2005 I was on F1 status. I wanted to deduct my student loan payments. I paid a total interest of $1425 in year 2005. I tried filling the worksheet provided with form 1040 nr ez instructions. According to their calcluations Ican only deduct $ 133 out of 1425 I paid as interest. ...

View more questions Search