Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Buxtonian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 02:07 PM
    What's the trick attaching copper nut to plastic thread of wc inlet pipe? Thanks
    What's the trick attaching copper nut to plastic thread of wc inlet pipe? Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 23, 2009, 02:14 PM

That plastic thread is likely the bottom side of your fill valve. Can you post a picture of your copper pipe? Most of the time we use a flexible chrome plated brass line made specifically for connecting the toilet, your threads may not be a match. The supply tubes I use have there own plastic nut attached.Connecting The Water Supply Line To A New Toilet - Bathroom Plumbing
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 24, 2009, 06:23 AM
    I'll bet what's happened is that you changed out your old metal ballcock for a plastic one and you're using the old metal nut on the supply over again.
    The trick is to be very certain that the nut squares up with the threads when starting. If you start the nut off crossthreaded the metal nut will act as a set of dyes and start to cut new threads. You now have a crossthread started. Don't tighten up a crossthread, it will leak. Try to restart the nut correctly. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting 3" copper pipe with 3" plastic pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My father needs to replace an existing 3" copper bathroom drain with new 3" plastic... How does connect the existing 3" copper with the new plastic?

Compression copper fitting to plastic pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Hi is it possible to fit copper compression fittings to plastic pipe. If so how please

Copper and plastic pipe for shower fittings [ 2 Answers ]

I need to install a new shower valve but have no experience sweating copper pipe. Is it possible to use one of the new plastic pipe materials/methods to connect? I would have to use plastic on both the inlet and outlet sides of the valve. Thanks in advance for any advice, thoughts, ideas.

Attaching a shower pan to a copper drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had a shower replaced by a local contractor. He installed a PVC pan to my old copper drain. Needless to say it leaks. He doesn't understand why? I believe that the correct way should have been to cut the copper drain and install a PVC pipe to the shower. Can someone help explain...

Plastic and Copper pipe connections [ 1 Answers ]

Help... I am trying to replace a kitchen faucet. The copper water supply pipe is connected to a plastic shut-off valve. I want to replace the plastic shut-off valve with a metal valve. The plastic shut-off valve will not come off the copper water supply pipe. How do I get this off? I tried...

View more questions Search