Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lee09edu Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2009, 06:46 PM
    Creating Financials for My Business Plan
    Need some serious help. I am creating a business plan for a ambalutory infusion company. However, with a nursing background I have no clue on how to start my financials. How do I calculate my revenue? Where do I start. I have figured out the basics... I think.

Basic information
    Charges for
    I've Infusion 1st hour $310.00
    I've Infusion ea. additional hour $150.00
    IV infusion - sequential (up to 1 Hour) $150.00
    IV Infusion - Concurrent (up to 1 Hour) $150.00

OPeration hours
    M-F 8-5:30
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 09:49 PM

Looking at your other posts, I have to wonder if you're really prepared to start a business.

As for the financials... there's a whole heck of a lot more to do than just figure out revenues, and if you're stuck there, I'm not sure how you're going to deal with your financial records. (Please understand I'm not attempting to cut you down... just looking at it from a realistic standpoint.)

If you know what your charges are, how do you not know what your revenue is? I don't even understand the charges because I don't know that business. What's the difference between an additional hour and a sequencial? What's a "concurrent." You would know what all that means and how to figure it out more than I would. (I can do math, but not if I don't know what it even means.)

I'm kind of thinking you need to be getting yourself an accounting book from the library or something and be reading up on some basics of how to keep track of your financial records. Reading up on small business tax wouldn't hurt either.

Sep 22, 2009, 10:13 AM

Morgaine300,

Thank you for your insightful response. However, the business plan that I'm working on is for a school project. However, I'm trying to learn as much as possible but got stuck with the financials. As I was goggling I came across this website and thought it would be of some help. I just want a starting point or a guide that will help lead me in the right direction.

I understand that a company makes its profits from its customer based on what is charged. For ex: do you just calculate the # of customers X's the actual cost of the product = sales/ revenue?
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2009, 04:44 PM

There isn't enough info given to know how to calculate it. It wouldn't be by the number of customers because they aren't charging by the customer. They're charging by the hour. And I can't answer because I don't understand those charges. If they are just outright telling you how many hours of each item (even if I don't understand what it means), then you only need multiply. If they're giving you other information and wanting you to interpret it so that you know how to charge it, I can't do that for a business I know nothing about. I've basically already stated that I don't understand those charges.

Sep 23, 2009, 09:32 AM

Morgaine300,

I believe these are the outright charges per hour + charges for additional treatment.If a patient needs additional time then I think I would charge them for the additional hour. So instead of just the initial charge of $310.00 It would be $310.00 + $150 = $460.. I think.

So to keep it simple:
    Question: since the sales are not calculated by the number of customers. Could be calculated by # of chairs with in the facility x's the hours of operation?

Example: a non chemo procedure for 1 hour will cost 310.00. If I schedule appts for all six chairs and am full to capacity for the whole day (9.5 hours) would I

Calculate 9.5 hrs x 310. Cost x 6 (# of chairs operating)? = $17,670. Wouldn't this be my revenue for the day?

I really do appreciate all your assistance.. its helping me think things through
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2009, 07:14 PM

What if you're not full to capacity? And since the charge for the first hour is different than the charges for additional hours, and then there's "sequential" and "concurrent" charges, whatever the heck those are, then you could never be consistent throughout a day. Your method assumes that all chairs are full, that someone is in each of those chairs every hour of the day, AND that there are only initial-hour charges.

And that is never going to be the case. If you'd stop worrying about accounting, and just imagine this happening for real, I think you will realize that's never going to work. At 2:00 in the afternoon you've got 5 chairs full, one person has been there 3 hours, another just got there, another has been there a half hour; two hours ago all 6 chairs were filled; one person is almost done and then 2 chairs are going to be empty. Now don't you think that's a little more realistic?

When I said not to do it by the customer, I meant that you don't have a "per customer" charge that you can multiply out by the number of customers. When you say to calculate by "the number of customers," that's meaning there's ONE charge that is the same for every customer so that you can based on it how many customers you had. But that isn't the case.

But that doesn't mean you can't figure out what a charge is for any one individual customer. But that charge is figured based on the hourly charges.

You're kind of making this difficult, not keeping it simple. If you walked into this place as a customer and stayed 2 hours, you'd have the initial first-hour charge plus an additional hour. So how much are they going to charge you? They have to figure that out anyway to know what to charge the customer, right? Any time you have customers, you have to know what to charge them. Again, I certainly was never saying you can't figure out the total charge for any given customer. You have to.

Then add up the total customer charges.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Business Plan Required for Catering Events Business [ 1 Answers ]

I need to create a business plan for a proposed new venture that has the following characterics: Venue: 12,500 sq. ft. newly built facility to cater for wedding receptions, corporate events, other special events. The facility has the capacity to host up to 500 guests. I need help on...

Financials for Business Plan [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: We are starting a new ice cream shop. We own the equipment and building but are putting a business plan together to take to the bank for a remodeling loan. We have everything completed except the financial section. We know there is lots of talk in town about us opening and we are...

Creating a plan for Transfer of Probation [ 3 Answers ]

I have been placed on felony probation in the State of Florida. I have been offered a job In St. Louis, MO for an IT high tech company making great dollars. I am going to see about getting it transferred and need some help with putting the information together. My questions are as follows from...

Creating budgets for business plan - BBQ restaurant [ 1 Answers ]

Hello you, I'm asking this group of online pros if anyone has a budget summary or detailed list of what things to budget when starting up a small restaurant (BBQ would be great) Check out our website Engine33 BBQ L.L.C.: Home Thanks in advance, Frank

Writing the Financials for a New Business [ 5 Answers ]

We have a nut roasting concession business but have purchased a building in which we will be opening an ice cream and nut shop. We don't know how to write the financials page for our business plan. We haven't started selling ice cream yet and the nuts have only been sold at fairs with some...

View more questions Search