Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Seppes26 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2009, 07:59 PM
    Can he get unemployment?
    My husband has been off work for three years with a back injury. Up until last summer he was receiving workers comp. benefits. He no longer receives those and is looking for work, would he be able to apply for unemployment now?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 05:11 PM

Unfortunately no.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 19, 2009, 05:25 PM

No, he would not qualify since he has not worked. Also he is off work due to injury.

Why is he no longer receiving benefits, and ( only reason should be he is well? ) and then why did he not go back to work after he got well

Sep 20, 2009, 08:32 AM
    Workers compensation Says he has reached maximum medical improvement according to their standards. He is not better, he is still in pain and his ability to work and maintain employment is very questionable but they have given him no choice. I don't understand why when the doctors wanted to try something to help him the BWC wouldn't approve the procedures and deemed them medically unnecessary. What is strange is now that the procedures they wouldn't approve are now being done done through private insurance and are helping so how could the BWC say they are medically unnecessary and that he has reached maximum medical improvement when it was obvious he had not and just cut off all benefits to someone who was in the field of saving peoples lives and had a family to support with two babies. Everything in this country is so screwed up but I guess saving lives and stabilizing the citizens of other countries is more important to our government than the taxing paying American citizens that are funding it. It is so disappointing and it really puts our governments true intentions out there in the open. Pretend to be the good guy until it really matters!! OH, BY THE WAY I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT HIS CAREER WAS RUINED AND HE CAN NEVER GO BACK TO DOING WHAT HE DID AS A RESULT OF THE INJURY AND THEY WOULDN'T EVEN GIVE HIM AN EQUAL RE-TRAINING OPPORTUNITY. THEY WERE WILLING TO RE-TRAIN HIM TO DO A MINIMUM WAGE TYPE OF JOB. WE REALLY GOT SCREWED. WE LOST OUR STABILITY AND MY HUSBAND LOST HIS SENSE OF SELF WORTH AS A MAN AND ALL OF HIS SELF ESTEEM. THANK YOU UNCLE SAM!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 20, 2009, 09:46 AM
    Workers comp is though private insurance based on state laws.

If he has a injury that can not be "fixed" he should have received a fairly large settlement when they stopped his benefits

Can I assume you failed to get a workers comp attorney?

Sep 20, 2009, 10:39 AM
    No, we had an attorney and he did get a settlement it wasn't very large though, it pretty much just added insult to injury our lawyer pretty much said that we were limited in what we could ask for because you can no longer get pain and suffering for work related injuries in Ohio.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2009, 09:36 PM

Not all workers comp is through private insurance. In my state it's run by the state.

I've been saying for 20 years that if the government ever ran health care, it'd end up like workers comp. So you can probably see from your experience why the government is right now scaring the h*** out of me. People always think the IRS is horrible or something. No - they're not. The workers comp in my state is one of the most horridly run things I've ever seen -- I've never had to get it myself, but having done a lot of payroll, I've had to work with all these government agencies, and it's just as bad from the admin point of view.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tn. Unemployment w-2 [ 4 Answers ]

Where to find and print tn. Unemployment w-2 on internet

Unemployment [ 3 Answers ]

I have worked part-time 20hrs a week for 2 years for this employer. They are now asking me to be a contracted worker, doing a different job and be a 1099 employee. If I decline the offer to be a 1099 employee, can I still collect unemployment, as they no longer want me in my original position.

Unemployment [ 2 Answers ]

Hi How long do you got to work to get unemployment?

Unemployment [ 4 Answers ]

How Long Does It Take To Receive My Unemployment When I'm Laid Off For A Week. My Company File Our Unemployment. What Is The Maximum Wait To Receive My Funds...

Unemployment w 2 [ 1 Answers ]

How to get unemployment w 2

View more questions Search