Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cpfrost Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2009, 10:52 AM
    Door Jam wood Rot
    I have two exterior door that have wood rot from the threshold up about six inches. Is there a way to make repairs without buying a complete door and jam?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 14, 2009, 10:56 AM

Is the rot on the hinge side? That side carries some weight of the door and makes it more difficult to cut and install a dutchman, but that would be a fix for you to consider.

Sep 14, 2009, 12:47 PM
    Thank you, ballengerb1. Both sides of the jam are rotten.

Sep 15, 2009, 02:47 PM
    More pictures;
    Name:  DriftwoodDoorI.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  164.9 KB

Name:  DriftwoodDoorII.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  153.4 KB

Name:  DriftwoodDoorIII.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  157.4 KB

Name:  UnderDeck.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  173.8 KB

Name:  UnderDeckI.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  233.8 KB
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 15, 2009, 02:57 PM

It can be done but by the time you get through you will wish that you had just bought a new pre-hung door. Besides that you have rot in the sill under the threshold and the siding to the left of the door. Door needs to come out to fix those things and you need to caulk between the brick mold and the siding. Deck board appears to be tight up against the siding. Need some space for drainage.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 15, 2009, 05:40 PM

I agree with Harold as usual. I am guessing no gutter above this door, that would help down the road too.
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Sep 15, 2009, 05:57 PM

If I may offer a bit of bad experience...

You really should pull up the bottom layer of siding and check the sole plate. Given that you don't have a gutter... and given that you've had that much rot, you may have serious issue with the sole plate. I really recommend checking it. The sole plate replacement isn't cheap (ran me about $800 for a 12 foot section here in Texas), but replacing it is MUCH cheaper than doing the repairs that will be needed if it rots through and the wall sags. If that happens, you're looking at drywall work, roof repair AND repairing the sole plate.
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Sep 17, 2009, 04:55 PM

cpfrost, you posted about a rim joist being rotten as well in another post. I can see why.
    I am looking at your door and thinking that that even if you could repair it, you should really take off those connections on your deck and replace the rim joist and sill plate. I saw in one of your pics from the other posts some sag already. If you do this now, you will prevent further problems later.

Get that deck (like they say above) off the side of the house and put in some flashing too.
    Then replace your siding piece and a new door frame.

Also looks like someone covered up an area with some boards under your deck just below where it connects. I wouldn't say a word if I haven't done this type of work, and seen this problem before. Do it right, and you won't have to worry about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Install a steel door in block wall where 2" wood cannot be installed [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install 32" steel door. It is old construction and the opening in the block is 35 1/2''* 84". Can the door be installed without installing 2" framing? If can, how would you recommend it be installed.

Repairing wood door [ 6 Answers ]

I have a wood front door. The inside is in near pristine condition. The exterior is a little beat up. The bottom of the door has some small chunks/rot damage, and it needs to be cleaned and freshened up. The missing chunks don't go through the door. They seem to be surface damage. What can I use...

Door hinge rotten wood area [ 2 Answers ]

My door hinge that attached to the jamb will take a screw, because the wood has Rotted in the jamb. I know I could relocate the hinge to another part of the door. I would have to mortise. Another option is to fill in the decaying wood with wood Dough so the screw would have a better...

Exterior door In brick- Can I reduce wood frame thickness [ 1 Answers ]

I Have an exterior door leading into my basement. It is in a cinderblock foundation. The door frame is built out of 2x can I rip it out and replace it with 1x pt to mount a new pre hung door? Thanks in advance.

Fiberglass vs. Wood Front Door [ 3 Answers ]

Any thoughts on replacing my front door with a Fiberglass Door vs a real wood door. The fiberglass door I'm looking at is http://www.masonite.com/PRODUCT_GUIDE/pdfs/BarSierraCraftsman.pdf . I would think for the long run the fiberglass door is the better value and more durable than wood. Anyone...

View more questions Search