Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    freephoneid Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2009, 02:12 PM
    ITIN & Claim for parents as Dependent in USA
    Hi,
    My parents stayed in CA, USA for 178 days. Can I show them as dependent while filing taxes for year 2009?

I supported them completely while they were in US. They're india citizen & are retired.

If so, can I take the passport notary no itself so that I can show it while filing taxes along with W7?

Help.

Regards!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 14, 2009, 07:50 AM
    You CANNOT claim them as dependents, as they have NOT met the 183-day Substantial Presence Test!

Sep 15, 2009, 11:24 AM

Hello,
    Thanks for your reply! However, I'm little confused with your answer in another thread at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/taxes/...urn-76380.html

I've one more question. If they come back again in US in next month & stayed with me for a couple of months, in that case, can I claim them as dependent?

Thanks!
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Sep 16, 2009, 10:33 AM

Read this
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf
    Starting at page 11
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 16, 2009, 02:07 PM
    To be claimed as a dependent, the parent MUST be a U.S. resident. To be considered a U.S. resident, they must meet the 183-day Substantial Presence Test, which is explained in detail in IRS Pub 519.

Your parents clearly did NOT meet the SPT, which is why you cannot claim them as dependents.

Sep 17, 2009, 12:18 PM
    But then, If the parents stay with me for first 6 months & then nov & dec month, then the total stay during the year goes beyond 183 days. In that case, can I claim them as dependent?
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 17, 2009, 01:24 PM
    The time in the first year (six months) is decremented by two-thirds. In other words, of the 178 days in the first year, only 59 days counts towards the SPT in the second year. That 59 days, combined with the two months (60 days), is only 119 days, which is short of the SPT by 64 days.

Sep 17, 2009, 06:45 PM
    Thanks AtlantaTaxExpert!

You're really expert in knowledge!

I still have some question. Can u tell me with example how to qualify for 183 days when a person can stay only 6 months in US?

How come u did the 2/3 for 178 days & not for 60 days later?

Thanks!
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 21, 2009, 10:56 AM
    Okay, let me see if I have this straight:

They stayed in the U.S. for 178 days from Jan to June 2008, then another 60 days in November and December of 2008?

If so, then they HAVE met the SPT and can, In my opinion, be claimed as dependents. I have queried the IRS in the past on this matter and that IS their guidance.

You will need to submit Forms W-7 to get them ITINs, but, provided you can show their 230+ days of presence in the U.S. and provided the IRS accepts your stance that you have provided more than 50% bof their total support, you should be able to claim them as dependents.

Sep 21, 2009, 11:07 AM

Maybe there is some confusion here.

Suppose your parents stay with you in 2009 for 178 days staying from Jan 1 to June 27th and then go home to India.

If they came back and spent part of November and December with you, let's say 30 days that would make them resident by substantial presence and you could take them as dependents.

They would need ITINs of course.
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 21, 2009, 11:12 AM
    Five Rings:

I re-read his answer, then amended my original post.

Looks like you answered amd I amended at the same time.

Great minds thinks alike! :-)

Oct 3, 2009, 12:48 PM
    Hi AtlantaTaxExpert & all others who replied to this forum,
    Thanks for all your great helpful answers!!

In order to make things more clear, I'm asking few more questions... I'll really appreciate if you can answer those as well..

1. A person XYZ's parents stayed in US in year 2009 from, say Mar 22, 2009 to Sep 15, 2009 (Total Days = 178)& went back to India.
    2. Now, if XYZ's parents come back again in next year 2010 & will be staying for 124 days between anytime from Jan to Dec 2010,

Then, I believe XYZ can claim them as dependent while filing tax return (in year 2011) for year 2010, am I correct?

Thanks!

Oct 4, 2009, 10:39 AM

Read the rules for substantial presence:

Substantial Presence Test

Oct 6, 2009, 11:19 PM

Hi,

1. As per the link, 124+ 178/3 = 124+59=183 days, so parents can be claimed as dependent,right?

2. Related question - If the spouse is not working (homemaker) & she spent 7 months out of US & she is not US citizen, then can we still show spouse as dependent? Is this 183 days rule applicable for spouse too?

3. Another related question - A new born baby who is born in US in the month of Aug (who has not completed 183 days since born in that year) can be claimed as dependent or not? Is this 183 days rule applicable for new born baby too?

Thanks!

Oct 7, 2009, 04:38 AM

1. yes

2. There is a better way. If you are a citizen or resident alien and your wife is a nonresident alien you can both choose to treat her as a US resident. She has an ITIN? If not you must get one.
    You file as married filing jointly.

Go here and read about it on page 10
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf

3. The baby is a US citizen. Congratulations by the way.
    He/she is considered present for the entire year, you take the child as a dependent, and claim the child tax credit ($1,000) too.

Oct 7, 2009, 10:08 AM

You understand that your parents will need ITINs for you to claim them as dependents, right?

On the Form W-7 check box (d) filling in your name and number where required. One W-7 for each of them. Submit these forms with your tax return to:
    Internal Revenue Service
    ITIN Operation
    P.O. Box 149342
    Austin, TX 78714-9342

Oct 10, 2009, 06:43 PM
    Hello Five Rings,
    Thanks for all your detailed responses!

How come a baby born in US do not need to go through 183 days test? I mean if a person's baby is born on 30 Dec, can the parents still claim $1000 credit?

Also, I'm a resident alien & my wife has an TIN as well as SSN. If she spends say, 10 months out of US & live in US only for Nov & Dec, can I still show her as dependent while filing as Married Jointly? If so, why 183 days rule is not considered in this case?

Thanks!
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 13, 2009, 08:44 AM
    A child born in the U.S. is, by law, a citizen of the United States, and automatically qualifies for the $1,000 Child Tax Credit plus, if he spends ANY time in the U.S. as a dependent. There is NO requirement for him to meet the SPT.

As for your wife, you CANNOT show her as a dependent. However, you CAN file jointly with her using her SSN (the ITIN is no longer valid). To file jointly, the only requirement is that you be legally married. Her physical location is irrelevent; she could be on Mars for all the IRS cares!

Oct 13, 2009, 07:37 PM

Hi AtlantaTaxExpert,

Understood!

Thanks again for the reply.

Regarding my question related to showing parents as dependent, Fiverings has given the link for publication p519.pdf

You've also mentioned that if parents can meet SPT, they can be claimed as dependent. But when I went through the above PDF, it has a flow diagram on page 5 which has a question at the end "Can you show that for 2008 you have a tax home in a foreign
    country and have a closer connection to that country than to the
    United States?"

Can you tell me how can we prove that the answer to this is "No" (assuming parents satisfy SPT) so that we can show parents as dependent while filing returns?

Thanks!
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 14, 2009, 09:07 AM
    You do NOT have to prove the answer is NO. It is assumed that, if you are in the U.S. that you do NOT have a closer connection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claim my parents as dependent for tax return [ 7 Answers ]

I am a green card holder. My parents from China stayed with us for more than six month in 2006. Can I claim them as dependents for the tax file of year 2006? If yes, what should I do? Thank you very much, Helen

Should I claim myself or allow my dad to claim me as a dependent on his taxes [ 2 Answers ]

I Am Almost 22 , I Go To Nursing School And Totally Support Myself. I Did Work In 2007 Up Until June. My Dad Is Wanting To Claim Me As A Dependent, But I Think I Would Be Better Off If I Claim Myself. Should I Claim Myself, Or Should My Dad Claim Me? What Is Better For Me?

Claim my parents as dependent [ 2 Answers ]

Can I claim my parents as a dependent in my tax retrun for this year (2007). They are alien residents, they have SS#, and they lived with me half of the year. They had no income. Thanks

Claim GC holder parents as dependent [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I want to claim my green card holder parents as a dependent but they came in August 07to USA and so they are failing substaitial presence test. I am on H1B visa. I think they will be dual status alien. I was wondering is there anyway I can claim them as dependent.

ITIN for L2 dependent [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have couple of question on Dependent filling, please help me in understanding. 1. I came to US on March'07. My spouse and kid joined me on May'07. My wife & kid will be staying for 6 month and then leaving back to India. Can I change my W4 status to Married and get the tax benefits on...

View more questions Search