Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamesygirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2009, 01:23 PM
    Fixed shower leak, now hot water faucet does not work!
    Hello! I had a shower leak recently, and I figured it was because the hot water faucet had corroded parts inside that would allow the water to keep flowing. I took it apart and replaced the stem and washer set up, even the seat. Now the hot water does not work at all. I'm wondering if I installed it incorrectly. Are there common mistakes that can be made when replacing a stem? Also, the shower head still leaks slightly, even though nothing happens when I turn the handle... :mad:

Thanks in advance for any help!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 12, 2009, 01:42 PM

The shower head is not leaking but your valve is. Not seeing how you installed the stem I have no clue other than to tell you to shut off the main and remove the stem. Put a bucket or towel over the valve body and have someone else turn the main on/off quickly to test for volume and to flush the line. Your original problem may still be there like a clogged inlet or shut off valve. Tell us if you had a good flow.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 12, 2009, 02:11 PM

Did you turn the hot water back on? Some tub and shower valves have integral stops. That's a stop valve right next to the stem. It allows you to turn the water off so you can replace the stem with out turning the water to the rest of the house. These are often used in apartments. They are usually turned on and off with a screwdriver. Does you valve have one of these and did you turn it off?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 12, 2009, 03:48 PM

Im just here to hear your answers to Bob's and Harolds questions. Please let us know and we will try our best to help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kohler Fairfax 12172 Faucet Hot Water Supply Hose leak [ 5 Answers ]

I have the Kohler model in the title... the 12172. Today, the metal-braided supply hose on the hot water side started leaking badly. It's definitely leaking at the top where it meets the faucet, and seems to be leaking a little at the bottom where it meets the water supply. Here's the faucet...

How to stop leak in Moen single lever shower faucet by changing cartridge [ 3 Answers ]

How do you pull the cartridge out to change it?

Shower faucet leak [ 1 Answers ]

My shower handle keeps slipping past the stop, therefore causing the faucet to continually leak. How can I stop this. I have taken the cap off the handle and tightened the screw to the off position, but it keeps slipping back. Does the screw need to be replaced? Thank you

Hot water cylinder leak and kitchen faucet [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I just discovered that our hot water cylinder sprung a leak. Towards the top of the cylinder, the insulation looks like it burst outward, but we don't see the hole in the cylinder. There is water collecting between the insulation and the cylinder that we are able to keep...

Water suppressor needed on lavatory faucet and shower faucet? [ 1 Answers ]

Are water suppressors needed in the bathroom sink faucet and the shower stub out also? And can you just use a length of pipe on a T, or must you use those copper chambers? (cpvc system) thanks

View more questions Search