Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nnur Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2006, 08:16 AM
    Married NY NJ taxes
    Hi,
    Currently I work in NJ and rent in NYC, while my wife works in NY. I have been having NY, NYC and NJ tax withheld from my paycheck. I was thinking of buying or renting a small place in NJ and was wondering how it would affect the tax situation.
    1) If I buy or rent in NJ, while continuing to maintain my current living in NYC can I only pay NJ taxes, while my wife pays NY taxes?
    2)Would it be beneficial to show NJ as place of residency rather than NYC as being done currently.
    3) How would having two places of residency affect the taxes being paid?
    4) If my wife moved her job to NJ, so that now both of us are working in NJ and have a place of residency there, and we continue keeping our place in NY do we still have to pay tax for both places or just NJ? i.e.. This scenario all income is NJ based.
    5)Is there any way to pay just NJ taxes, while maintaining some sort of living quarters in NYC?
    Or am I screwed in having to pay for both?
    My income is higher than my wife's... if it matters. Would this be a situation where married filing separate returns can be advantageous?
    Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 28, 2006, 01:56 PM
    1) No. Your residence with your wife is considered your PRIMARY residence for tax purposes.

2) Maybe. NJ has a lower tax rate. You should be getting a tax credit from NY state for the taxes you currently pay to NJ.

3) It will not affect your current tax situation, as NY will not recognize that you have established residence in NJ as long as you continue to maintain a residence in NYC.

4) Maintaining your residence in NYC gives NYC and NY state the excuse to say that your primary residence is in NYC, making you liable for NYC and NY state income taxes.

5) No, not In my opinion. The NY tax authorities specifically ask if you maintain living quarters in NY and will use your answer to maintain their position that you are in fact a NY state resident.

Filing separately MAY help you. The only way to know for sure is to prepare the return BOTH ways and compare the results.
    nnur Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 09:23 PM
    Thanks for the answers, you totally rock the tax boards!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 2, 2006, 04:15 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NYC Taxes married filing [ 3 Answers ]

Hope someone can help. I just received my tax returns from my accountant and he claims my wife and I owe ~$4000 to NYS. Combined we made roughly $165,000 split evenly between us both. Scenario: I lived in NJ last year until November after my wedding-my wife in NY the entire year. I worked...

Getting Married! [ 9 Answers ]

I met my wonderful fiancé 10 months ago and we are planning to get married on our 1 year anniversary which is in August. I am 19 and he is 35, but I really do not think the age matters although some people say it does. I was wondering cause we :eek: cannot decide where to get married at:eek: . I...

Should I get married? [ 15 Answers ]

Here's my problem: I'm in the us army reserves and my unit has been called on active duty, now that I'm going to be leaving for a year my boyfriend wants to get married. I've been with my boyfriend for going in 2yrs. And we know in our hearts that we want to spend the rest of our lives...

Taxes for married filing OPT(self), F1(wife) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a resident of India, I have been in the US from Aug 2004. My wife has been in the US since Aug 2005. I just finished my Masters and am working full time in OPT status. My wife is still in F1 status. Should my employer cut Social Security and Medicare taxes? We wanted to file in...

Filing for 2004 taxes and 2005 taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just received my W2 from my employer and there were 2 W2's. One W2 was for the wages of Dec 2004 (since the employer pays 1 month delayed salary) and the other one was for Jan - Nov 2005. I want to know if I can refile my 2004 taxes since I just got my Dec 2004's W2. If I add that...

View more questions Search