Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beth911 Posts: 499, Reputation: 6

Sep 7, 2009, 10:06 PM
    7 week old chiuahua has fleas & not drinking
    Ihave three dogs that had fleas v bad and we have had trouble getting rid of them and nothing seems to be working... my sister moved in with her dog that had 4 puppies and I am kleeping one of them... all the puppies have fleas now as well.. so we have 8 dogs here with fleas.
    The vet said that since they are too young to really use anything on them to just use vodka and it will get the fleas drunk anfd easier to pick off them. It doesn't seem to be working all too well. I'm worried because she is so little. I'm afraid of her getting sick. Is there anything else that I can do with her? I was going to get her a flea collar buyt everyone told me it was a waste of money and money is tight right now.
    What's the best way iu can get rid of her fleas? I have some shampoo that works very good but it says not to use on puppies under 12 weeks.
    And also should she be drinking water yet?
    Shge drinks it a little bit only out of my hand .she doesn't drink it on her own and she only drinks a little tiny bit out of my hand, is this normal?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2009, 10:15 PM

Yes they should be drinking water by now, they need to be weaned and I am guessing your sister has no idea how to wean them properly.

Does she drink puppy milk out of a bowl? (NOT cows milk)

If she will drink puppy milk out of a bowl fine then you jut need to start watering down the milk, start with 75% milk, 25% water and increase the amount of water to milk daily until it is eventually just plain water.

Is she eating dry food fine?
    Puppies start eating solid food (wet to start with) at around 4 weeks of age.

Has she had her first set of vaccinations?

Now... for the fleas, you can buy spot on treatments for puppies as young as 6 weeks, they are a liquid that goes on the back of their neck, as long as the pup is in otherwise good health it will be safe.

Alternatively you can bath the puppy in a mild dishwashing liquid.
    The dishwashing liquid will dorwn the fleas whereas regular water will not.

I personally would not use Vodka as any open wounds the pup has it would sting them quite a lot, and have heard that it is not the most effective treatment either.

You need to get rid of the fleas as quick as you can because they are not only annoying, they can cause the pup to become amemic and even kill them.

On top of treating the dogs you will also need to treat your house.
    Catsmine is the one to talk to about getting rid of fleas from your house but I simply bought a can of indoor surface spray and sprayed ever inch of my carpets and furniture then vaccuumed.

I hate to say it but if you do not have much money then you can't really afford to keep the dog.
    Dogs are expensive and people who have a low income should not be buying/accepting new puppies.
    beth911 Posts: 499, Reputation: 6

Sep 8, 2009, 09:01 PM

Normally I do have tons a money and I coyuld afford it.. just these next couple weeks I'm broke. I get money left and right like nothing

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My 2 week old puppies have fleas [ 4 Answers ]

My Pitbull just had babies on March 21st and the pups now have lots of fleas. What can I use to get rid of them?

My 6 week old puppy has fleas [ 3 Answers ]

Help, my newly adopted puppy has fleas at 6 weeks old

5 week old puppie has fleas [ 3 Answers ]

Five week old puppy has fleas. How do I get rid of them.

1 week old kittens have fleas! [ 2 Answers ]

My cat had kittens about a week ago and now they've got fleas, when I tried to use a flea comb on them my cat just moved them. What do I do to get rid of them?! :confused:

Fleas and 7 week old pup [ 1 Answers ]

Just adpoted a 7wk old puppy and she is infested with fleas and ticks what can I use

View more questions Search