Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ruckusluvr Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2009, 06:03 PM
    Finicky dog doesn't want dog food.
    I decided to feed Ruckus Iams healthy naturals as recommended by my vet.

But he is not touching his food. He is not even smelling it. But he has been doing this before the Iams. He is such a finicky dog! One time he went three whole days with out eating!

I leave his food out for 30 mintues, and put it up. Then just feed him again next feeding time. He has not ate a bite is 24 hrs.

He is acting fine, playing, keeping up on our long hikes, etc. so I do not think that he is sick. He has always been finicky. I bought him some Iams savory sauce to go on his food, but he still will not eat it yet.

I bet he will be hungry tomorrow!

What can you do for a finicky dog? He is this way with chews, and treats too!

I understand why he is finicky. We feed him table food sometimes, and in the past if he wouldn't eat his kibble I would put canned food in it. And if he still didn't eat it I would warm in up. And sometimes he would not eat that, so I would mix in people food... and if he didn't eat it then I would add some hot water to it...
    I imagine that has made it worse, but I didn't think about it at the time.

Sep 7, 2009, 06:03 PM

My other dog Lynn is finicky too, but she is loving this Iams with the sauce on it!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2009, 09:18 PM

Hi ruckusluvr, someone just asked a similar question ot yours, here was my reply to them:

Firstly I would have to say he needs to be seen to by a vet just to rule out any medical problems he may have.

However, mine do that quite often, usually it is when they have eaten the same food for more than a week.

Just like people some dogs can get sick of eating the same old thing day in, day out.

What I do is to make sure I always feed the same base food and then add a "flavour" to it every 2-3 days.
    Either by mixing in half a can of moist food in different flavors or adding some sardines or even beef or chicken mince to the base ingredient.

Mine also flat out refuse to eat plain dry food unless I mix a little canned in with it just to make it a bit more tempting.

Definitely cut out the table scraps, while it is tempting him to eat now, it will only cause problems in the long run.

Sep 8, 2009, 09:31 AM

Thank you very much. This morning he actually decided he would eat. He finished the whole bowl of just dry with some of that savory sauce on it.

I know he does this when it is hot, but we have been in a cool front! Either way, he is eating now... maybe he will keep it up!
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2009, 09:38 AM

Good to hear.

If he doesn't like eating in the hot weather (who does really?) then perhaps half an hour before meal times you could do some things to cool him down.

Try giving him some cold treats like rope toys soaked in water then frozen, or even a little unsalted chicken broth.

You can make up ice packs out of zip lock bags... just fill them up about 1/3 of the way and then lay them flat to freeze... wrap them up in a towel and place them on his bedding.

Even simple things like a cool wet cloth rubbed on the inside of their back legs and on their feet and ears can cool them down a lot.

Sep 8, 2009, 02:47 PM

Thanks for the tips!
    Ruckus loves to get in his swimming pool when it is hot, but I only fill it up a few inches or he will not get in! LOL
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 8, 2009, 03:49 PM
    A little late this year, but next summer try some chicken bullion ice cubes to cool him down. They're not just for teething, Shaz.
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2009, 02:15 AM

Had to spread the rep Cats but yep, good idea!
    I try not to steal your ideas all the time haha
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 02:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Had to spread the rep Cats but yep, good idea!
    I try not to steal your ideas all the time haha
    Not mine. I just posted it here first. I got it from Don Jones. He judged best-in-show at Westminster this past year.
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2009, 02:23 AM

Very nice, I haven't seen Westminster or Crufts for the past few years... I miss my cable TV.

Mum has quite a few old ones on tape though, I fell in love with a PBGV named Cedrick one year, he was gorgeous.
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 02:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Very nice, I haven't seen Westminster or Crufts for the past few years... I miss my cable tv.

Mum has quite a few old ones on tape though, I fell in love with a PBGV named Cedrick one year, he was gorgeous.
    You know me, I'm a working breeds fan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Food invention (registration of a food product?) [ 12 Answers ]

I have thought up a good idea for a new food product and would like to offer it to a company, but to do that (I was informed by my dad) I need proof that this idea is mine so no one can steal it and such, registration of a food product? I need to know how to go on to this. A website perhaps? Please...

Food poisoning, or Food allergy? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello. Greetings first of all. Well, see, on Tuesday morning I felt fine, nothing seemed to be wrong. Went to work at a restaurant, 3 hours cause it's split shift. Came back home and was supposed to go back to work at 5pm. Right around that time I started to feel bloated, and had lots of gas. Then...

Doesn't find me attractive, doesn't want sex with me, isn't sure he wants a relationship [ 14 Answers ]

Please read this, I need your help I'm 18 and so is my boyfriend I've been with him for 10 months and for about 5 months he's telling me he's not ready to commit and isn't sure he wants a relationship.and at points he's said he wants to feel he can do stuff with other women should the situation...

Why doesn't my dog like chicken flavor food [ 3 Answers ]

I have a pitbull that only eats all kinds of beef flavor dog food and he doestn like chicken at all and I would like to know why is that is that a problem or is that just the way he is do you think that's a problem? Because whenever I bring dog chicken flavor food he doesn't eat it at all and it...

View more questions Search