Ask
    courtney1107 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2009, 12:30 PM
    Credit or debit
    Is a withdrawl a credit or debit
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 3, 2009, 12:41 PM

A withdrawal from your chequing or savings account is a debit, Credit is when you put it back in.

Tick
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2009, 12:43 AM

Sorry, tickle, not in accounting class it's not. Your checkbook is from the bank's point of view, not yours. And there's a real good chance OP is not referring to cash anyway.

You need to learn the debit and credit rules, which are as follows:

Assets: debit increases, credit decreases
    Liabilities: debit decreases, credit increases
    Equity: debit decreases, credit increases
    Revenue: debit decreases, credit increases
    Expense: debit increases, credit decreases

You need to know what classification the account is. Then you need to know if you are increasing or decreasing it. Then you follow the rules.

It's easy to assume that by "withdrawal" you mean from a bank account. That's cash, which is an asset, which has a normal debit balance. Withdrawing it reduces it, so that's the credit side.

However, most of the time in accounting when someone refers to a withdrawal, they are meaning an owner withdrawal from the company, i.e. the drawing account. Since that reduces equity, following our rules, we would see that is a debit.

The owner can do a drawing with any asset, but it is most of the time cash. So by a nice coincidence, generally an owner withdrawal is going to be both a debit to Drawing and a credit to Cash.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debit or Credit [ 1 Answers ]

The expected balance in Prepaid Insurance

Debit or Credit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi If using the perpetual inventory system what is the impact of COGS if the company sells inventory? I think it would be a credit but I get really confused re debits/credits :rolleyes: Thanks for your help.

Debit Credit [ 1 Answers ]

In double entry accounting what's a debit and what's a credit?

Debit balance, debit entries, and credit entries [ 1 Answers ]

This is a silly question I'm sure, and the answer is very simple, but it is driving me crazy... The problem is: At the beginning of the year, The Office Equipment account of Gulf Coast Airlines had a debit balance of $126,900. During the year, debit entries of $23, 400 and credit entries of...

View more questions Search