Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Under666 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 07:44 PM
    Charged with both theft& deception
    I worked in a bank and I made fake transactions and stole $3670. I have been charged with 6 counts of both theft& deception and receiving stolen property. I don't have a criminal record and never been convicted of a crime before. I'm very afraid. If there's someone out there who knows something or can give me advice on my situation, please help me. I regret what I have done and I don't know what is going to happen to me. << PA Crime Code 3922 (a) & (a)(1)>>
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Oct 26, 2006, 07:51 PM
    Face your problem, don't run from it, consult an attorney, if you cannot afford one, ask the court or the local attorney bar association. What you described is a criminal as well as civil offense and is punishable under both civil and criminal law. By that, I mean the money taken was a matter between you and your bank employer and the bank will seek restitution (or their bonding company since all banks are required to have blanket dishonesty bond covering dishonest acts by employees). The district attorney will seek to punish you for a crime, a criminal offence. Please don't be afraid, this happens to more people that one thinks, even good people. People are just humans and humans make mistakes. Face it, get it behind you. Won't be easy but you can face it. Good luck to you.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Oct 26, 2006, 09:00 PM
    I don't have quite as much sympathy for you as Richard does above, but I do agree that you have to face your problems.

You have to face the fact that you committed a crime. You saw an opportunity and decided it was "worth it". It was a mistake, and you must be willing to accept the consequences of your decision.

A little deeper down though, you have to ask yourself about what "integrity" means to you. Maybe this was a single event fueled from irrational thinking, but maybe this is more of a pattern in your life - something that leads you into trouble in different ways, and this is really a wake up call about who you are and what you are all about in this world.

It's never easy to face our darker sides... but it's necessary to grow as a human being.

All I can say otherwise is to listen to your lawyer.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2006, 05:52 AM
    Hello under666:

What's that mean? The devil made you do it? Bwa ha ha ha ha. I told that to a judge once. He gave me 15 years!!

What's happening is the state is going to try to put your little banking butt in big house. It's your job to try to stay out. Don't talk to them at all! Hire the best criminal attorney you can find, and do what he says.

I think you'll get probation.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 27, 2006, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Under666
    I'm very afraid.
    You should be. But the time for being afraid was when you decided to steal. Fear of the consequences might have saved you from where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Under666
    I regret what i have done and i don't know what is going to happen to me. << PA Crime Code 3922 (a) & (a)(1)>>
    Do you really regret doing it or do you just regret getting caught? You're lucky you are being prosecuted under state law and not for bank robbery which is a federal crime.

If you were charged then you had to have a lawyer at the arraignment. What has your atty told you? They are the ones you should be speaking to.

I don't know how good a case they have against you. So your lawyer should advise you on your chances of being convicted. If they have an open and shut case against you, I would look for a plea deal to a lesser charge. Such a deal would likely be predicated on full reimbursement of the stolen amounts.

On your side is the fact that this is your first brush with the law and the amount is small. If you pay it back in full you should get probation, maybe get the charge lowered. I think the latter is very important since, being convicted of the current charges means you will probably never work in a situation where you handle money again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search