Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jinxprotocol Posts: 28, Reputation: 5

Sep 2, 2009, 10:19 AM
    Internet Connection Keeps Dropping
    My internet connection keeps dropping off on me, and I wonder if it's my modem - a Linksys BEFCMU10 - that's doing it. I have internet through Comcast, and the cable programming itself seems to be working just fine.

The coax runs from the wall to a splitter and then from the splitter to the TV and Modem, so if there is a problem with the connection, it should be affecting both, right?

I've had the modem for about three years now and I've never had any problems with it, ever. Has it just finally given out on me, or is there something else I can look for? I'm not very good with modems and internet connection stuff, so if there's something I'm overlooking, please let me know. Thanks so much.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2009, 10:26 AM

I had a problem with the internet dumping me all the time when I had a dial up connection. I figured out my problem finally after about a year of utter frustration. It was how I had loaded my PC after it had gotten a virus. I cleaned my hard disk completely and loaded up everything all over again from scratch. What I had done was had an internet conenction when I was loading up my programs after loading the O/S. That was the cause of my problem.

If you have not had to reload all of your programs due to a virus, then your modem took a dump on you. Do you have broadband or just the equivalent to dial up? Big difference. Since I got broadband or DSL from the phone company I have had no problems whatsoever with being dumped off the net.

Also modems to go bad, especially the ones that are not built into your PC if it is a wireless connection as well.

Let me know and I'll try to help you figure out the problem.
    jinxprotocol Posts: 28, Reputation: 5

Sep 4, 2009, 10:59 AM

I have cable internet through Comcast, supposedly with one of the fastest connections they offer. I don't know that it has anything to do with the computer settings, because it's the modem itself that keeps dropping the connection.

If I unplug the Modem and the 4-way Router - both Linksys - they usually work for about ten minutes, and then the connection drops again.

Update: I just plugged the modem/router up in the kitchen, without a splitter, and it seems to be working fine. I think maybe the connection coming in from the wall in the living room might be screwed up, so I'm going to investigate further.

Does that sound like a likely problem? Is there a way to fix the wall connection without calling the cable company?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2009, 02:07 PM

If you pay for the net through the cable company and it's their modem, I'd call them and have them come and do a trouble shoot. More than likely it's the modem gone bad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I cannot access to internet but the internet connection is good [ 10 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a problem, and I have no clue about it. I have a wireless internet connection and I don't know what happened but I can not access to the internet. The wireless connection is fine, there is the green icon saying that the signal is perfect, but when I open the internet...

Internet connection [ 1 Answers ]

I just got my computer fixed and I connected to the modem and it says I am connected but the internet doesn't work at all. When I look at wireless network connection status in the general tab on the acitivity there is a number under sent but there is always zero under the received. My ip address is...

How can connect internet with telephonelines? Please show process step by step.

Dear group I've a P4 1.7MHz PC with 128Mb RAM, loaded with WinXp OS. My problem is as soon as turning on my computer the IE is loading automatically and made a connection to my default home page, without any permission. What is the problem and how can I solve it? Any help will be thanked

View more questions Search