Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bhavanasharma Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2009, 12:05 AM
    When should the year long lease end if started in the middle of the month
    My tenant is moving in on 10/11/2009 with one year lease agreement. I will prorate her October month's rent. But, wanted to know when should her year long lease end legally?

Should it end on 09/30/2010 or 10/31/2010

Thank you very much for your response.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2009, 07:01 AM

Hello b:

Whomever wrote the lease should have included the beginning date and the ending date, most likely on the FIRST line of the lease...

If that wasn't done, and you can't find it written down, it's anybody's guess... But, I'll assume that she gave proper notice and isn't breaking the lease, therefore she's moving a couple weeks early.

If that's so, you have no obligation to pro-rate the rent.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 31, 2009, 07:05 AM

Its whatever the two of you agree on. There is no law governing this. Personally, I would make it 10/30.

Aug 31, 2009, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello b:

Whomever wrote the lease should have included the beginning date and the ending date, most likely on the FIRST line of the lease....

If that wasn't done, and you can't find it written down, it's anybody's guess... But, I'll assume that she gave proper notice and isn't breaking the lease, therefore she's moving a couple weeks early.

If that's so, you have no obligation to pro-rate the rent.

excon
    Thanks for your response excon,
    Actually, I am asking this question as I am currently filling out the lease agreement for my fist ever tenant. As I mentioned she will be moving-in on 10/11/2009.
    And I am in doubt if I should end the one year lease on
    09/30/2010 OR 10/10/2010 OR 10/31/2010

Aug 31, 2009, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Its whatever the two of you agree on. There is no law governing this. Personally, I would make it 10/30.
    Thank you ScottGem for letting me know that there is no law governing this. I will discuss it with my tenant and would suggest to end it by end of Oct next year.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2009, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavanasharma View Post
    Thanks for your response excon,
    Actually, I am asking this question as I am currently filling out the lease agreement for my fist ever tenant. As I mentioned she will be moving-in on 10/11/2009.
    And I am in doubt if I should end the one year lease on
    09/30/2010 OR 10/10/2010 OR 10/31/2010
    Hello again, b:

If there's any prorating to be done, do it at the BEGINNING. Therefore, prorate the rent from the 11th till the FIRST of the next month, and have the lease START there. Ending it, will be EASY to figure out. The date rent is due is EASY to figure out. The date notices are due is EASY to figure out.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 31, 2009, 11:26 AM

I agree with Excon, that's why I suggested the October date. Prorate this Ocotber and have the lease end 10/30. Don't "discuss" it with the tenant. Tell them this is the way it should be. If they protest, then you can decide whether to give in on the point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Year lease then month to month? [ 9 Answers ]

I live in Los Angeles California. I've lived in my apartment for over 1 year after signing a 12 month lease. Now that the 12 months on the lease are over, my landlord wants me to sign a new 12 month lease. I don't want to sign another 12 month lease. I may go to school in a few months and I'd...

Year lease expired in January. Are we now a month to month? [ 4 Answers ]

Our one year lease expired in January. I called the landlord then and reminded him we needed to renew the lease. He said he would stop by and take care of it, but never did.After a couple more calls into him with nothing done I gave up. Did the lease then go to a month to month? I've read our...

After a year go to month to month from year to year lease [ 2 Answers ]

I signed a one year lease and the landlord now wants me to sign another full year. I would like to go on a month to month at this point. I live in Oakland, CA. Do I have to sign?

Month to Month after a year, no notice specified in lease [ 2 Answers ]

We finished our 1 year lease in October and have since been going month to month. However there is nothing written in the lease where it says how many days notice we have to give. How many days notice do we have to give legally in VA? Thanks, Ed

Getting a month to month tenant to sign 1 year lease [ 2 Answers ]

My New Jersey tenant signed a 1 year lease that ended last year and stayed in the apartment on a month to month lease. I am now thinking of putting the bldg up for sale. Is it important to have all tenants with signed leases when I put it up for sale? They seem to be dragging their feet on signing...

View more questions Search