Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RobotBunny Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2009, 12:46 PM
    7th grade gifted math conundrum
    I need help with this problem, I know there's something I'm not getting..
    :confused:

The Bear family decided to open a cookie store that featured bear-sized cookies. Mama and Baby Bear decorated the cookies, and Papa Bear sold the cookies. Mama Bear could completely decorate a cookie every 7 minutes. Baby Bear could completely decorate a cookie every 12 minutes. Unfortunately, Papa Bear was eating one of the cookies every 9 minutes. If they open the store and have no cookies decorated, how long will it take them to produce 500 decorated cookies that can be sold?

Please explain too, so I know how to solve it, thanks!
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2009, 01:18 PM

First, find the first factor if seven, twelve, and nine. Z

Seven x A = Z
    Twelve x B = Z
    Nine x C = Z

Then, add up A + B, it will become the total number of cookies made in Z minutes. Then, subtract C and you will have how many cookies can be sold in Z minutes. Y

(A+B)-C=Y

Then, you find the average time to make one sellable cookie, and multiply by 500 to get your answer.

Try doing that, and tell me what you get. If you need more help, I'll be glad to help.

Aug 30, 2009, 02:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HelpinHere View Post
    First, find the first factor if seven, twelve, and nine. Z

Seven x A = Z
    Twelve x B = Z
    Nine x C = Z

Then, add up A + B, it will become the total number of cookies made in Z minutes. Then, subtract C and you will have how many cookies can be sold in Z minutes. Y

(A+B)-C=Y

Then, you find the average time to make one sellable cookie, and multiply by 500 to get your answer.

Try doing that, and tell me what you get. If you need more help, I'll be glad to help.
    Okay, sorry if I'm being a little stupid here, but what do you mean by first factor? If it's GCF then it's 1, right? A little more help, please? :o
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2009, 02:24 PM
    I believe the LCM is what is meant. The smallest number that 7,12, and 9 divide into.
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2009, 03:05 PM

Yep, I should have said "the first number they all factor into" which, as galactus stated, is also known as the least common multiple.

PS: Nice new pic galactus!

Aug 31, 2009, 06:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HelpinHere View Post
    Yep, I should have said "the first number they all factor into" which, as galactus stated, is also known as the least common multiple.

PS: Nice new pic galactus!
    Thank you so much for your help! I did get the answer right, again, thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

3rd grade math [ 6 Answers ]

(8+1)+5=8+(?+5)

4th grade math [ 8 Answers ]

Thanks for some help. I need it! There are 16 pens. There are 3 tmes as many red as blue pens. There are 4 more green pens than red. How many of each color are there? I can't figure it out.

5th grade math [ 6 Answers ]

This is a 5th grade math problem. This is not a tricky question. This is a real math question so don't say that a bus has no legs. There are 7 girls in a bus. Each girl has 7 backpacks. In each backpack, there are 7 big cats. For every big cat there are 7 little cats. Question: How...

8th grade math [ 1 Answers ]

of all pairs of consecuitive integers whose sum is greater then 100 find the pair whose sum is the least.

5th grade math [ 3 Answers ]

My son came home with homework tonight. Problem solving. Question is : Yasu is making programs for the next band concert. He is using tan, gray, ivory and lemon colored paper. The cover design will be printed in either black, maroon, or purple ink. List all the different combinations he can...

View more questions Search