Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    judydoodle Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2009, 06:35 PM
    Another book that haunts me
    Hello!
    I read a book several years ago that was riveting and I would love to find it again. It was about a nuclear bomb that destroyed a huge portion of the U.S. and how a family (led by two women) survived. They learned not to trust strangers who were after everything from food to fuel, and stayed safe in their rural home (I believe in California). It seems like there were visitors who came to stay, and after much time had passed, they may have even ventured out to see if there were any more survivors. They killed at least one man who attempted to rob them.
    It was fascinating to read how they learned to be totally self sufficient, and how they made a second home inside a very large (dead?) tree in case they were ever driven from their home.
    And during all this time, at least one of the women was devoted to saving books (for future generations). They collected them and created a (cave?) where they stored the books. It seems to me there were only women and children in the home and they were worried about how to carry on future generations in case they never saw another human being.
    I'm not sure if the book title has the word "library" or "book" in it, but I do know that the author's last name began with W, X, Y or Z because I found the book on the last set of shelves of our local library. I've just never been able to find it again, and it was a very well-written, very so-scary-that-it-could-really-happen kind of a book.
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Quinn F Posts: 6,048, Reputation: 913
    Movies Expert

Aug 29, 2009, 08:26 AM

A Gift Upon the Shore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    judydoodle Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2009, 07:21 PM
    Dear Quinn:
    That's it! I'm so excited to be able to read this book again... I very much appreciate the help... now to get to the library... :)
    Quinn F Posts: 6,048, Reputation: 913
    Movies Expert

Aug 31, 2009, 08:01 PM

You're welcome.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does a 14yr old like me find out if anything haunts my house [ 2 Answers ]

I have been looking on Google if anyone has died in my house and so far I've come to this website with no clue if imma die of heart attack from this or not. Anyway, my question is how can I get help if there are ghosts in my house. First of all, the mirror(that can fold so you may three of...

Looking for book from The Weekly Reader Book Club, 60's or 70's, paperback, on WWI. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All, I trying to find a book that I bought in the mid-60's from The Weekly Reader Book Club. I believe it was simply called World War I. It's a small paperback. There's pictures in the book, one of which is subtitled "Doughboys to the Front". In this photo is my grandfather. I loaned...

Lost love haunts me today. [ 17 Answers ]

My first true love and I dated from the time we were 16 until I ended the relationship when we were 21. We went to high school and college together and experienced every possible "first" together. I ended the relationship because I thought I needed to experience other relationships before...

His Past Haunts Me... [ 10 Answers ]

I am 20 years old for over a year and we have had our good times and bad. The minute I met him - I knew he was it for me. Only six months into our relationship, we got engaged. Ive always known that he had a wild past. Hes a biker and hung out with a wild crowd. I was always a loner - I still...

View more questions Search