Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dpt002 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2009, 03:01 PM
    1 Chassis with 2 systems questions/logistics!
    Hello everyone!

Need some advice/help/assistance. So, its been a good while since I really messed with computers(ie…changing drives, updating boards, etc…~1998). Was wanting to jump back in the game and pretty much start from scratch. I think I might have bit off more than I can chew though. I came up with this great idea to have a one chassis, 2 system unit. I know it can be done, but all chassis I find look too industrial. Then considered the option of purchasing a dual board and just adding that to a regular unit. When I looked up what was available, I really didn’t like the specs available. Below is what I’m ultimately trying to do and what I want:
    1. 2 systems in one unit.
    2. Chassis would need to look like a regular unit or look unique. I’m fine with it being big (just not industrial). Would actually prefer it to have a cool look, but that’s just the younger vane side of me. LOL
    3. System 1: regular system for wife to get on and zoom net, manage pics, manage our music, etc…. Just regular plane Jane stuff. 500gig HD, 2 to 4 ram, DVD player/burner, few external ports( firewire, usb, media ports, etc…)
    4. System 2: pretty much top of the line components. Fastest processor on market, at least 4 to 5 tb HD, max ram available on market, multiple USB and firewire, multi media card reader, wireless, Bluetooth, top graphic, etc….. Basically, I used to be a big gamer and want to jump back in. The way I have always handled/looked at purchasing a computer was get everything top of line with Max spec available and you will not have to upgrade for a good while. I have a vast array of music and movies as well that I like to keep up with. (Am considering just purchasing a nas drive and using that, thus being able to access from other locations.)
    Here is what I have questions with:
    1. Where to find the chassis?
    2. Since the systems will be in the same unit and they won’t be running at the same time, can they share same power source?
    3. USB/Firewire and other ports: can they be shared by the two systems or will I have to allocate this number to one system and the remaining to the other?
    4. Turning on. What options do I have? Turn one on by one switch then turn the other one on by a separate? Or toggle external switch to allocate which system I want powered diverted to.
    5. Can I attach them to the same video card?
    6. other major issues I’m overlooking?
    Basically, I only want to have one unit, but my spouse can not have access to my system. Don’t want two chassis. I’m a physician and plan on using my home system for work(thus she can’t have to patient files), backup, and relaxation with getting back into gaming? If this sounds too involved, just tell me, but I would appreciate words of wisdom as well.

Wish everyone well!

DT
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2009, 03:41 PM

Not to disregard your overall question, why don't you dual boot 1 system - 1 OS for her and 1 OS for yourself
    jimrockford Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Aug 29, 2009, 12:08 AM

I think your best bet would be to use a large case designed for a single motherboard. Build it as your gaming rig and then customize it to fit a small form factor mini-ITX based PC for your wife.

Out of curiosity though, why would you insist on a single chassis when every requirement you listed would lead one to build two separate computers? It sounds like you even have a valid reason to keep your wife out of your computer, yet you're doing everything possible to try to graft the two systems together. Whatever you come up with is bound to have limitations that could be avoided by simply buying two computers.
    dpt002 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2009, 04:27 PM

Hey jimrockford!

I agree with your statement regarding the simplicity of just purchasing two separate computers. The idea was sort of a combination from both my wife and myself. We both want a computer but want to keep it in one room of the house. Due to restrictions of access to patient files, I HAVE to have two separate systems. Our current office has very limited space and don't want to make it more crowded with two units. We have a laptop and a mini, but I usually take the mini with me to the office. The laptop has been a great computer but is on its last leg. So, ultimately it is a space issue.
    The reason I was hoping to be able to share some of the ports was just for ease of use. I know and understand that putting something together in this fashion would be a big headache, but it would also be fun to try to work through everything. We also thought about getting a really small case like the Casetronic TE-T290 but at the time decided against it. Then I finally just said heck with it. Let me see if I could fit two separate systems in one unit. So, basically I got the idea in my head and believe I would enjoy putting it all together.

Thanks for your input!

Dan
    jimrockford Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Aug 30, 2009, 06:38 PM

If space is the primary issue, are you planning to use two monitors and keyboards or sharing a single setup? You mentioned that they wouldn't be used at the same time. If that is the case, seahwk83's suggestion to run a dual boot setup might make the most sense. The only thing I would add there would be to encrypt your patient files to prevent access. Microsoft has their Encrypting File System (EFS) that would work and there are several third party options to consider as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

7.3 International diesel in Ford Chassis(motorhome)won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, l have a 1989 Holidaire motorhome on a Ford chassis with a 7.3 International diesel in it. It quit two years ago and will not start. Had the injection pump rebuilt but still will not start. Changed injectors and lines, had small electric pump feeding injector pump, go new injector pump. If...

AC slide out chassis [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Frigidaire in the wall that never did cool the room. Fan motor not up to Speed. Because it has a slide out chassis. I'v been told I could slide in another AC into The cabinet, without tearing it out of the wall. As long as they were the same size Do that sound correct

'91 Chev P-30 Motorhome chassis [ 1 Answers ]

The electronic odometer only shows dashes across the display. Any ideas how to fix this problem?:)

Maritimes Logistics [ 1 Answers ]

How to get latest information & improve knowledge about International Shipping & Logistics?

View more questions Search