Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    antipode12 Posts: 248, Reputation: 8

Aug 28, 2009, 12:51 PM
    How to drain pooling water away from basement?
    Last year I got great help from everyone regarding poor drainage and a flooding basement.
    (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...ck-242374.html)

A year later, all is good, but after some heavy rains, I'm nervous that some pooling water in the yard will seep into the basement.

Here's the situation:
    1) side of yard has been graded away from house and has polyethylene buried 2 inches.

2) Adjacent yard is undeveloped lot that is 6-8 inches HIGHER than my yard.

3) all areas of yard are higher than the one spot where water pools.

Any ideas on how to get rid of this pooling water?

This picture is a diagram of the side of my yard:
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 28, 2009, 04:49 PM
    Any ideas on how to get rid of this pooling water?
    Perforated PVC and a dry well, (see image) come to mind.
    That's about all I cam come up with. Good luck, Tom
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Aug 28, 2009, 04:59 PM

Create a trench away or along side that elevation. Just dig deep enough and put about an inch of rock (gravel) and then lay 3" pipe with holes in the bottom. (they should have it at the big box ) The holes must be positioned on the bottom, not the top.

Then lay more gravel over it. If you run it along that area and about 1.5 feet down next to the elevation and slope it down as you run it to day light (the end will stick out at where the earth is level or drops down)

Elevation _________
    Trench ----------------- directing the water away.

You will be giving the water a place to go and where you want it to go.
    "Earth Plumbing" so to speak.

BTW - these types of shallow trenches do work well. Usually at about 2 feet deep. I had to do it on the side of the house where I live where the drain tile doesn't reach too.

Usually about 3.5 to 4 feet away from the house. Two feet deep and just wide enough to get your stone and pipe in, then you need to direct it away at some distance.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 29, 2009, 02:52 AM

Good advices above... You can also insert bucket where the water puddles, put in small pump and pump it away through PVC discharge .

Does this happen all year around or only in rainy season ?

Aug 29, 2009, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    Good advices above...... You can also insert bucket where the water puddles, put in small pump and pump it away through PVC discharge .

Does this happen all year around or only in rainy season ?

It only happens on the heaviest rains -- 2-3x per year.

Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Perforated PVC and a dry well, (see image) come to mind.
    That's about all I cam come up with. Good luck, Tom
    I thought about a drywell. But, considering that any potential location in the vicinity is just as far as the puddle, won't a drywell actually ACCELERATE the problem. (That is, now I'm accumulating MORE water within the same radius of the basement.)
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 29, 2009, 12:05 PM

I don't know how much you want to spent to solve the problem. If it happens only few times a year I would assume you want to do something temporary. If you insert bucket in the lowest point, put in a pump and attach a hose to it, you can lead the hose anyplace you want. Pump will pump out water automatically through the hose. Once the rainy season is over, you can remove the pump, hose, put cover on the bucket and all is in order again.

I like the trench, drainage pipe and collection bucket solution. If you don't mind spending some energy, you could do it once and the right way. Just make sure your ground can absorb all the water.

Good luck... Let us know what you decided to do ! Milo

Aug 29, 2009, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
    Create a trench away or along side that elevation. just dig deep enough and put about an inch of rock (gravel) and then lay 3" pipe with holes in the bottom. (they should have it at the big box ) The holes must be positioned on the bottom, not the top.

Then lay more gravel over it. If you run it along that area and about 1.5 feet down next to the elevation and slope it down as you run it to day light (the end will stick out at where the earth is level or drops down)
    I thought about this too. But, the nearest downward slope for a trench to exit is probably 50 feet+ away. The spot where the water accumulates is truly a valley of the property.
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 29, 2009, 12:08 PM

Looks like pump and collection bucket is your solution...
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 29, 2009, 12:22 PM
    Is there any area that's low enough to use Milos solution? Are you concerned that a dry well will fill up and back up into the basement? Let me know, Tom

Aug 29, 2009, 01:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Is there any area that's low enough to use Milos solution? Are you concerned that a dry well will fill up and back up into the basement? Let me know, Tom
    I like Milos' idea, but I am shooting for something a little more permanent.

As for a drywell -- yes, I'm worried the well will accumulate MORE water, acting as a funnel into the basement.

It seems that my option is to divert the water to another area of the yard: 50+ feet away.
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Aug 29, 2009, 04:43 PM

Well, fifty feet away sounds like a lot, but it will help you do what you need. YOu seem to understand the water moves mostly sideways through the soil and have a place for it to go is your best bet I think. I have done this in an area where I get a lot of water. I have a sump, but the drain tile stops at a point, and I started back aways with a trench and it does work nicely. Digging yes - or you could rent a rig that digs for you, but you only need about six inches to lay the pipe and the rock.

If you work on it a length of a time, it isn't so bad. Let us know how you are doing with it.

Aug 30, 2009, 10:47 PM

Well, I came up with a new possibility: I will go with a french drain, but in the neighboring lot. I'm going to grade down the section that is higher than my yard, and lead it to a french drain running parallel to my water problem.

It should divert my puddle under the fence into the adjacent property where it will find the french drain.

One more question and I'll shut up:

I dug the trench mentioned above in the neighboring lot. (It is a trench and does not exit anywhere specific.) I can:
    A) fill it with gravel and leave it open
    B) fill with gravel and cover with dirt
    C) drop a perf. Pipe with gravel underneath it.
    D) leave it as a simple dirt trench

Any thoughts?
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 3, 2009, 04:56 AM
    Here's a link that will give you instructions on constructing a french drain,(see image) french drains how to - Google Search

Good luck, Tom
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 3, 2009, 10:12 PM

Also, and in addition to Tom's advice, I am adding few photos of run-off systems to give you better idea how to proceed. Of course, you don't have to use the pipe if you want to create "dry well" kind of run off system which would collect water and than allowed it to percolate w/o draining it away from the point of collection.
    Attached Images

Sep 4, 2009, 01:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    Of course, you don't have to use the pipe if you wanna create "dry well" kind of run off system which would collect water and than allowed it to percolate w/o draining it away from the point of collection.
    That's exactly what I'm after since a run to daylight would be 50 or so feet. Thanks.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 5, 2009, 06:23 AM
    See my earlier post where I suggested both drainage tile and a dry well. What are you going to do if you have a heavy rain and th line loads up. Where will the water drain then? The dry well's a safety factor against overloading the drain tile. As for leaking back into your basement it's more likely you'll get a back up from the drain tiles then from a dry well. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tore up basement concrete: water pooling up around pipes [ 9 Answers ]

I'm renovating my basement and adding a toilet, shower and sink. Tore up concrete and dug around cast iron stack and drain pipes to be replaced and I'm noticing a bit of water pooling up around the pipes. Wondering if I was too rough with the shovel? Or is it just groundwater? I actually sopped the...

Basement drain keeps leaking water into our basement [ 3 Answers ]

We have lived in our house for over a year and have no problems with plumbing until this week. One of our basement drains keeps over flowing. Nothing is running. Like a dishwasher,washer, etc.) I noticed it during a heavy rain day but it has not rained in two days but more water keeps pouring out...

Water pooling in refrigerator [ 1 Answers ]

Water is pooling in the regular section of my fridge. Air flow is clear.

Water Pooling around furnace [ 3 Answers ]

Manufacturer: Rheem Age of equipment: 8 Years Efficiency: Natural gas, 90% Plastic flue pipes. Type of system: forced air

View more questions Search