Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loupi01 Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2006, 10:57 PM
    Drilling holes in ceiling joist
    I am drilling holes through a 2x6 ceiling joist. How many 12/2 wires can you run through a 7/8" hole? I am drilling the hole in the center of the 2x6 (width wise). Where is the best to drill the hole length wise?

Thank you for your help.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2006, 02:58 AM
    Imagine the length of the joist, and divide into thirds. Do not drill any holes in the center third. Only drill holes in the outer thirds. This not mean to make swiss chesse of the outer thirds.

Need to use some common sense to not drill so many holes the integrity and stength of the framing member is not comprimised.

The most you can fit in one 7/8" hole comfortably is two 12-2 cables. Any more will probably not physically fit without damaging the sheathing, and any more would require derating of the cables .
    leftcoastsparky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2011, 08:53 AM
    Damiging wires is not the issue here. There is a code to adhere to concerning how many wires through a hole and that code says 2. It has nothing to do with the size of the hole. TK should have mentioned that.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 15, 2011, 12:06 PM

OK Sparky,

Did you happen to realize that this post was from five years ago!

Please back up your claim with the correct code citation.

Code does not say only two wires can be put through that hole.
    The code is referring to cable, not individual wires. And within that context the size of the cable would make a difference, but I'm sure you already know that.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 15, 2011, 12:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by leftcoastsparky View Post
    Damiging wires is not the issue here. There is a code to adhere to concerning how many wires through a hole and that code says 2.
    Can you tell me what code this is you are referring to?

I can tell you for a FACT that you have have up to nine current carrying conductors, sizes #14-#10 in a conduit, raceway or bundled cables, before derating is even a consideration. This means you can have up to four 12/2 cables in bored holes.

IMO three 12/2 in a 7/8" hole should be no problem.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 15, 2011, 12:28 PM

Damn! I fell for the newbie digging up old threads again. :mad:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Guidelines for drilling a floor joist [ 29 Answers ]

We need to run some 12/2 Romex through the floor joists of a newly built home. Can we drill the floor joists wherever we see fit, or are there limits?

Drilling a hole in glass [ 3 Answers ]

How do I drill a hole in glass? Do I need a special bit or tool?

Joist thinkness for installing a toilet? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm thinking about installing a toilet in an upstairs that has 2 x 6" joists. Will there be room for closet bend in the floor? Thanks

Oil Drilling? A few questions? [ 1 Answers ]

My class is doing our own debate about drilling oil in antartica and we need statistics and facts to help our debate. I am on the team that is againts drilling and I'm curious how drilling pil would affect animals. Can someone tell me?:)

Drilling holes in mirror [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I've never drilled a mirror before and I need a little help, I'm mounting two wall sconces over a bathroom vanity and need two small mounting screw holes and a small hole to accommodate the wiring for each sconce. A 4' by 5' mirror is on the wall it sits in a bottom channel and is held in...

View more questions Search