Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RafaelCB Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2009, 05:44 PM
    Solving this Accounting homework.
    I HAVE TRIED BUT I CAN'T GET IT RIGHT! :(
    THIS IS THE EXACT PROBLEM I HAVE TO SOLVE, I COPIED EXACTLY WHAT THE BOOK IS GIVING ME!

The trial balance of the Sterling Company shown below does not balance.

Sterling Company
    Trial Balance
    May 31, 2010
    ********************************DEBIT***********CR EDIT

Cash--------------------------------------$5,850
    Accounts Receivable---------------------------------------------2,750
    Prepaid Insurance-------------------------700
    Equipment-------------------------------- 8,000
    Accounts Payable------------------------------------------------4,500
    Property Taxes Payable------------------560
    M. Sterling, Capital--------------------------------------- -----11,700
    Service Revenue-------------------------6,690
    Salaries Expense------------------------4,200
    Advertising Expense---------------------------------------------1,100
    Property Tax Expense-------------------800
    *******************************-------************-----------
    *******************************$26,800**********$2 0,050
    *******************************-------************----------
    *******************************-------*************----------

Your review of the ledger reveals that each account has a normal balance. You also discover the following
    Errors.

1. The totals of the debit sides of Prepaid Insurance, Accounts Payable, and Property Tax Expense
    Were each understated $100.

2. Transposition errors were made in Accounts Receivable and Service Revenue. Based on postings made,
    The correct balance were $2,570 and $6,960, respectively.

3. A debit posting to Salaries Expense of $200 was omitted.

4. A $1,000 cash drawing by the owner was debited to M. Sterling, Capital for $1,000 and credited to Cash
    For $1,000.

5. A $520 purchase of supplies on account was debited to Equipment for $520 and credited to
    Cash for $520

6. A cash payment of $450 for advertising was debited to Advertising Expense for $45 and credited
    To Cash for $45.

7. A collection from a customer for $210 was debited to Cash for $210 and credited to Accounts
    Payable for $210.

Instructions:
    Prepare a correct trial balance. Note that the chart of accounts includes the following:
    M. Sterling, Drawing; and Supplies.(Hint: It helps to prepare the correct journal entry for the transaction described and compare it to the mistake done.)

Trial Balance should total $24,930.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2009, 08:05 PM

Please show the work you have tried on the problem first. Then someone can check over what you've tried to do. Also, can you please verify that the trial balance you show here is exactly the way it was given, like for instance a credit for acct receivable.

Since it's a "correction" problem, it's likely meant to be messed up like that, but I just want to check.

You might want to present your work in Excel and upload it, to make it easier to read and see what you're doing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accounting solving [ 2 Answers ]

betty sullivan decided to open betty's dog grooming center. Betty completed the following transaction a) invested $ 19,000 cash from her personal bank account into the business b) bought equipment for cash $ 3,000 c) bought additional equipment on account, $2,000 d) paid #300 cash to...

Accounting Homework [ 9 Answers ]

What is transferred from the income statement to the statement of owner's equity?

Accounting Homework? [ 1 Answers ]

If a company has a trial balance including these accounts: Merchandise inventory $17,500; Purchases $149,400; Sales $200,000; Freight-in $4,000; Sales Returns & Allowances $4,000; Freight-out $1,000; and Purchase Returns & Allowances $2,000. The ending merchandise inventory is $25,000. How would...

Accounting homework [ 1 Answers ]

I need help... If a woman is running a part-time business out of her house and she decides that she wants this to be full time business out of a rented building. Her assets equal out to $30,000, cash 13,100, accounts receivable 3,000, supplies, 1,400, and office equipment is 12,500. So when you...

Accounting homework help [ 1 Answers ]

The question is: A wholesaler issued 12,000,000 of 30 yr 8% callable bonds on April 1st 2006 with interest payable on April 1st and October 1st the fiscal year is the calender year Journalize the following transaction 2010 October 1st- called the bond issue at 102, the...

View more questions Search