Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    antipode12 Posts: 248, Reputation: 8

Aug 26, 2009, 11:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Kiss, another expert here, can actually show the formulas to calculate this voltage drop using real values and show exactly how it works mathematically using Ohms Law.

I don't have the patience to do it.
    That's OK because I don't have the mind to understand it.

It's good enough to know that it's a legitimate possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Why you want to get this fixed besides not having use of the dehumidifier is that a bad connection under these conditions can be what is called a "glowing connection", where there is heat like this there can be fire.

So discontinue any use of this circuit until it can get repaired.
    It's been disconnected ever since it was discovered.

Aug 26, 2009, 11:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    You might have to go do things very unconventional.

Locate the drop non-destructively.

You can use a breaker finder or other AC detection system and trace the circuit in the wall. Might cost you $40 or so.
    I tried a non-contact detector, but no luck through the wall. I did not see any other alternative tool at my big box.

Epilogue: I can't deal with the possibility of ripping open the walls to find it is one or multiple (or none) breaks in the neutral line, nor having a good way to repair it.

Soooo, I've disconnected the suspect cable entirely. I will tie the receptacle to a different circuit that I can get to from an adjacent room.

It's not the way I'd liked to have done it (its a pretty busy circuit I'll be tying into), but I don't feel like I have another choice. Old house. Multiple handy-man renos. Bound to be complications, right?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2009, 04:17 AM

If you don't want to give up, disconnect one of the hots until the power goes out to the defective receptacle, check the neutral connection on the white that runs with that black.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2009, 07:40 AM

This voltage detector isn't so bad. Craftsman AC Voltage/Current Detector, Non-Contact

Hopefully, you have no reason to suspect that there is a splice within the wall?
    fixitguy60 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2009, 01:42 AM
    Turn of the breaker to this circuit only. Inspect thoroughly for all outlets, lights or other appliances that no longer function. Each outlet and switch location as well as fixture location is also a potential for poor connections. If that still fails, then inspect attic or crawl spaces for j-boxes as well as any "mystery" blank plates covering poorly done remodel work randomly about the house... Very seldom is a bad connection due to a breakdown of a wire internally. If someone has been doing any work with a stapler one might re-think that but it is my experience that most of the time it's a bad connection in one of the box locations.

Aug 28, 2009, 12:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    This voltage detector isn't so bad. Craftsman AC Voltage/Current Detector, Non-Contact

Hopefully, you have no reason to suspect that there is a splice within the wall?
    No. It looks like relatively new work, and there's nothing that might tap into it.

I really think that someone sunk a drywall screw into the 2x3 that the wire goes through, and never knew because it only powered low loads.

Thanks everyone!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Halogen - line voltage (120v) or low voltage (12v) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi. I am renovating the kitchen and plan to install small halogen MR16 ceiling pot lights. Contrast and Lightolier have been recommended. At least, the Contrast line is available with either line or low voltage feeds. These questions come up as the plan calls for 9x35w MR16 (ceiling pot...

Track lights: low voltage vs line voltage.comsume the same electricity in the end? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi! I just installed a section of track light in my living room just to see what it would look like and so far I'm not convinced... you see, I had a regular celing lamp with a 75w incandescent bulb and the room was very well lit... now with the track light I find that I need 3 fixtures with halogen...

Low voltage or line voltage? [ 3 Answers ]

I have electric ceiling heat. How can I tell whether my thermostats are low voltage (24 volt) or line voltage (120 or 240 volt)?

Difference between supply voltage and input voltage? [ 2 Answers ]

Consider a Common Emitter amplier circuit, there'll be two inputs present in which one is applied at the base of the transistor and other at collector I want to know 1)what is difference between that two voltages ? 2)need to use both in the same circuit? ...

Low voltage [ 1 Answers ]

Just got some land and a double wide trailer was on it. We plan to live in the mobil home a few years before building a home there. Question is; The A/C and heating unit is a Nordyne Intertherm model # FEH-015HA My son is an a/c & heating tech working for a well nation company. He has never...

View more questions Search