Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mtbyczk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2009, 09:08 PM
    Fathers rights to baby birth/baby name
    What rights does an unwed father in PA have to be there when the child is born or have say in the child's name? Also, does PA have any laws in regards to fathers last name and child support? I've heard that if the baby does not have the fathers last name that she can't file for child support. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2009, 10:54 PM

Pennsylvania Paternity
    Here's a link that I think may be helpful to you. Even if the baby doesn't share your name, if it's your baby, you still have to pay child support
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2009, 04:10 AM

Right to be there: None if the mother does not want you there.

Right to the name: None.

What you heard about a name and support is 100% false. She could name the child Brad Pitt and you would still be responsible for support.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 25, 2009, 06:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbyczk View Post
    I've heard that if the baby does not have the fathers last name that she can't file for child support.
    Where did you hear that piece of drivel? Support is based on the legal establishment of paternity. The link justcurious gave you should help you deal with that.

As Steve pointed you you have no rights to be present at the birth. However, once paternity is established you MAY be able to change the birth certificate as far as surname is concerned.

You should consult an attorney to help you deal with custody and visitation.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 25, 2009, 01:58 PM

Keep in mind that in many states the father has no say in naming the child on the birth certificate even when married. Its an odd world.
    Mtbyczk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2009, 01:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    Right to be there: None if the mother does not want you there.

Right to the name: None.

What you heard about a name and support is 100% false. She could name the child Brad Pitt and you would still be responsible for support.
    The whole last name thing does not matter. I can't believe that I am not even legally allowed to be present for the birth of my own child or have any saying her name. I guess I have to thank our amazing legal system for that one. Thank you all for your replies, the answers are greatly appreciated even if they are not what I wanted to hear.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2009, 03:24 PM
    The whole last name thing does not matter. I can't believe that I am not even legally allowed to be present for the birth of my own child or have any sayin her name. I guess I have to thank our amazing legal system for that one. Thank you all for your replies, the answers are greatly appreciated even if they are not what I wanted to hear.
    You aren't the legal father until paternity is established. Even if you were, the mother is the patient, not you.

Sucks, sure... but that's the way the world works.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Aug 25, 2009, 04:16 PM

A married woman can keep her husband out of the delivery room too, you know.

You have no idea how mortifying some women feel it to be to have people in the delivery area---I mean, everythign is ALL open for God and the world to see---and the LAST thing she needs is any stress while in labor.

So... what it comes down to is this: until men can go through the pain and indignity of giving birth, then women will be able to determine who is and who is not with her during this time.

It has NOTHING to do with whether you're married or even whether you're the father or related. The woman giving birth is the patient, and she has complete control over who is in the room besides the required medical personel.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 25, 2009, 04:38 PM
    . I can't believe that I am not even legally allowed to be present for the birth of my own child.
    As Steve said, its not your child until paternity can be legally established. And its unlikely you can get it established until after the birth.

Your feelings about being in the delivery room are actually relatively new. It wasn't until the early 70s that the concepts of natural childbirth with the father as a participant started to become the norm in western civilizations. Before then, the father waited in the waiting room. Even before giving birth in a hospital became commonplace, the father was still kept out of the delivery room and the mother was attended by midwives, physicians or other woman of the community.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baby.my last name or fathers? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 17 and my boyfriend is 22 we are expecting a baby in 4weeks... he wants baby to have his last name I am unsure.. we don't have a very ideal relationship I think we have just stuck with it because it "seems" easyer than separating at this time.. if the baby does have his last name and we then do...

BABY DADDY Fighting for Parental Rights and baby live part-time with his wife / kids [ 16 Answers ]

I have been in an extra-marital relationship for six months with a man who was "leaving" his wife. He told me repeatedly that they were living as roommates and he was moving out soon. Once this went on for some time, I decided I was worth more and broke up with him. I found out a few days later...

Custody/parental rights when birth of baby [ 4 Answers ]

Hi thank you for taking time to read this and would really appreciate some feedback on this subject.I separated from my husband and meet an old flame and got pregnant I am happy about this.But I got back with husband who wants to bring the baby up,and we can financially support a child.And have had...

Fathers rights of unborn baby [ 4 Answers ]

My brothers girlfriend found out she was pregnant a couple of months ago. A week after they told me, his girlfriend told me there is a chance the baby might not be his. My brother was not mad because he said they both were seeing other people.But they decided to be together so they can raise the...

Can a baby be put on adpotion without fathers consent? [ 2 Answers ]

A really good friend of mine got his ex-girlfriend pregnant, he just found out she had the baby on 02/08/07. Her brother told him a family from california was going to adopt him and was picking him up saturday night, can she put him up for adoption without his permission? Hes not here legally...

View more questions Search