Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sierra_Leone Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2009, 10:27 PM
    BF refused to buy a gift
    Hi,

My boyfriend asked me what I would like to have for a present. I really need a laptop for my education as mine is broken, so I told him. He refused and said that we should discuss it. I feel humiliated and offended. Was I wrong to ask for a laptop? I feel so ashamed, like I am some kind of a tacky girl
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2009, 10:50 PM

What was/is the reason for buying you a gift?birthday? More info please.
    BlackVY Posts: 823, Reputation: 154

Aug 23, 2009, 10:58 PM

Yes, more info would be good...

But still, a laptop is quite a big ask. How long have you guys been together for?

Are you asking for a brand spanking new, killer laptop with all the bells and whistles?

Can he afford a laptop right now?

Aug 23, 2009, 10:59 PM

No reason really. It is just that he travels a lot and he is now on his business trip in another country, so he asked me what I would like to have. Also, he keeps saying to me that he likes expensive things, he has expensive taste, etc. so I thought it would be okay to want an expensive gift? And he has means for it!

Aug 23, 2009, 11:06 PM

Ok then... so he can afford it

But he said HE likes expensive things, HE has expensive tastes... maybe that just refers to HIMSELF.

Not sure if he really wants to get YOU expensive things. Some guys are not very generous, and still, a laptop is a big ask.

Once again, how long have you guys been together for?

Aug 23, 2009, 11:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackVY View Post
    Yes, more info would be good...

But still, a laptop is quite a big ask. How long have you guys been together for?

Are you asking for a brand spanking new, killer laptop with all the bells and whistles?

Can he afford a laptop right now?
    We've known each other for quite a while now, but started dating over 2 months ago. It is just that all this time he kept telling me that he is quite wealthy, likes expesive stuff, etc. and when he asked me I thought that it will be OK to ask for a laptop

Yes, he can well afford a laptop right now.

Aug 23, 2009, 11:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackVY View Post
    Ok then... so he can afford it

But he said HE likes expensive things, HE has expensive tastes... maybe that just refers to HIMSELF.

Not sure if he really wants to get YOU expensive things. Some guys are not very generous, and still, a laptop is a big ask.

Once again, how long have you guys been together for?

No, he would tell me that he wants me to see the world and pay for my trips, etc. I didn't ask for it, he kept talking about it himself.

Aug 23, 2009, 11:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierra_Leone View Post
    We've known each other for quite a while now, but started dating over 2 months ago. It is just that all this time he kept telling me that he is quite wealthy, likes expesive stuff, etc. and when he asked me i thought that it will be ok to ask for a laptop

Ok then, so he can afford it, but has he gotten you anything so far that is close to the value of a laptop?

Any piece or jewellery or anything that is maybe a little more than half the value of a laptop?

2 months is not a long time with someone before you are willing to get them something more then $1000, even if you are rich.

Once again, maybe HE likes expensive stuff for HIMSELF, not is not comfortable getting expensive stuff for you, yet
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 23, 2009, 11:18 PM
    We've known each other for quite a while now, but started dating over 2 months ago. It is just that all this time he kept telling me that he is quite wealthy, likes expesive stuff, etc. and when he asked me i thought that it will be ok to ask for a laptop

Just because he can afford it doesn't mean he has to buy it for you.

You've been dating for two months, not 2 years, and a laptop is not a cheap gift.

Also, you stated he's going away, asked what gift you'd like, it sounds like he meant a souvenir, something inexpensive from his trip.

Yes, it's tacky to ask a guy you've only dated two months to get you a gift like a laptop. It shows one thing, you think he should spend lots of money on you.

If you need one for school then get one, on your own.

Aug 23, 2009, 11:19 PM

No, he hasn't. It was supposed to be the first gift... I'm sooo ashamed.

Have I screwed up? What should I do now?

He definitely wanted me to know that he can do expensive stuff for me. Why such self-contradiction now?
    Pets Expert

Aug 23, 2009, 11:23 PM
    No, he hasn't. It was supposed to be the first gift....I'm sooo ashamed.

Have i screwed up? What should i do now?

He definately wanted me to know that he can do expensive stuff for me. Why such self-contradiction now?
    The thing is, you asked for something uber expensive, not just a little something, but a big something.

Have you screwed up? I don't know. How did he react? Was he shocked? What did he say?

Also, a guy that flaunts his money, claims he'll take you places, buy you expensive things, is usually a guy that has no confidence in himself. Again, I don't know him, but that's what I've learned.

The question is, are you with him because you like him, or because he has money? By asking for a laptop, you basically told him you're in it for the cash.

Aug 23, 2009, 11:24 PM
    No, he hasn't. It was supposed to be the first gift....I'm sooo ashamed.

Have i screwed up? What should i do now?

He definately wanted me to know that he can do expensive stuff for me. Why such self-contradiction now?
    For a first gift, that is quite a big ask. Should have started smaller... way smaller...

I don't know what he thinks, but he may be thinking you are a gold-digger. I don't mean to offend you, but asking for a laptop from a rich guy after 2 months is something a gold-digger would do and he MAY be thinking that

But also, it was wrong for him to lead you on that he woul dget you expensive stuff just because he likes expensive stuff.

My advice would be talk to him and discuss it like he suggested. Let him know you ar enot with him for his money, but thought you needed a laptop when he asked.

He didn't contradict himself actually. He didn't tell you he would buy you an expensive gift. He just asked you if you wanted a gift. You assumed he meant it could be expensive
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Aug 24, 2009, 12:11 AM

At this point if he wants to spend money on you it's HIS choice. It's too early in the relationship for you to ask him to spend money on you, even if he does offer to get you a gift. He's not contradicting himself, he's just not comfortable buying something that costs that much money for you because you asked him to. In the future that may change, or it may not. If he's had ex's who just wanted him to spend money on him then it'll take longer for him to trust that you aren't after the same thing.

Just apologize to him. Explain your side of things and apologize. There's nothing else you CAN do.
    CFZD Posts: 385, Reputation: 49

Aug 24, 2009, 12:51 AM

My 2 cents will be, it is cheaper to buy electronics in the US. He is traveling somewhere in the world, where is it exactly?

From where I have been, I am quite positive in the US it's a lot cheaper for a laptop with a good quality of course.

And I do think asking for a laptop is a bit TOO MUCH as the first gift.
    winding200 Posts: 167, Reputation: 40

Aug 24, 2009, 05:56 AM
    Well, it seems you took it too easy. Long in short, you made a mistake.
    It is not appropriate to ask a laptop for birth day gift in 2 month relationship. He is not your parents, but new boyfriend who wants to show his affection. Obviously, the laptop is over his budget, and he is not comfortable with it. He could think you are materialistic, and you are trying to take advantage from him even though he constantly demonstrated he could afford it for you.

You should take 'money matter' with sensitivity, because unintentionally it can ruin the relationship. He can misjudge you that you are interested in his money not him. Nobody wants to be used, and it can turn him off. As a nice girl, you set a budget line in your mind, and when anybody give you a gift over the limit, gracefully & politely refuse it. It makes you more precious and lovely girl.

Well, what has been done is done. The best thing you can do is, if you can, buy the laptop before b-day ASAP, and tell him it was not appropriate gift from him, and you already bought it. If he travels a lot, ask him to buy a nice brand name perfume at a duty free shop, so you can wear it FOR him. It will make him happy, because he can show off his international traveling & duty free shop shopping capability, and the gift is private between you & your boyfriend.

By the way, some guys have tendency to exaggerate his capability or willingness to impress girls in early stage in relationship. Do not take it as facial value.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 07:46 AM
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...en-388699.html

Is he married? Rich or not, its inappropriate to ask for expensive gifts this early in the relationship. That's a gold digger move. Maybe its okay if you're the mistress of a rich guy, but not a serious boyfriend.

That sends a bad signal, with any one though, about you, and what's on your mind.

Aug 24, 2009, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...en-388699.html

Is he married?? Rich or not, its inappropriate to ask for expensive gifts this early in the relationship. Thats a gold digger move. Maybe its okay if your the mistress of a rich guy, but not a serious boyfriend.

That sends a bad signal, with any one though, about you, and whats on your mind.
    Actually I found out that he is separated. His wife knows about me and has no objection whatsoever. So, in this case you are saying that it is OK?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 07:25 PM

No my dear, separated, is not divorced, or single, and most separated guys only want a g/f when they need one. If they are truly separated that is. You mean you have talked to the wife, or only going by what he has told you??
    Pets Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 07:52 PM
    Actually i found out that he is separated. His wife knows about me and has no objection whatsoever. So, in this case you are saying that it is ok??
    Are you saying you're the mistress and you're okay with that?

Are you also okay with being considered nothing more then a sex toy?

Well, if that's the case then by all means, ask for the laptop, because you won't get anything else from him.
    CFZD Posts: 385, Reputation: 49

Aug 24, 2009, 08:02 PM

OP,

If you asked for the gift and received it, we have a name for you.
    Worse than calling you a mistress, I think you know what the name is for someone offers sex and receives money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Payment refused [ 3 Answers ]

I recently switched daycare providers because I was becoming unhappy with the situation. Shortly after I started using her, I ran into financial problems and could not pay, but she let me continue to bring my children. Now I have stopped using her which hacked her off! I told her I would pay her...

Refused Legal Aid Is there Any where else I can try [ 2 Answers ]

Our Ex foster daughter 27 as lost custody of her daughter to the baby's father. She as slight learning disabilities nothing major. She as looked after Jessica for 6 years without any problems. Last year She had another daughter and the baby's father gave her a lot of hassle she ended up living in a...

Help! My daschund refused to shower and refused to be carried. [ 3 Answers ]

Help! Help!I am having 2 major problems with my male long hair red daschund:- 1. He refuses to shower - every time he hears and sees me preparing his shower stuff, he will run and hide. I try coaxing him wz treats but that didn't help. He will growl and snap at whoever goes near him. 2, My...

My dog refused to eat anything but chicken. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, My samoyed of 7 years, had glaucoma 3 weeks ago and had his left eye removed, a few days before the op to keep his strength up we gave him a whole chicken a day, and also a few days after the op, he now refuses his own meat although we have tried to ween him off the chicken, by mixing...

Being refused to pay restitution [ 3 Answers ]

I wrote bad checks to a place also have been accused of several thousand of dollars being stoled what is the law on restitution if they refuse to take restitution a gave me a signed latter stating such can they press charges.

View more questions Search