Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    George Leigh Posts: 42, Reputation: 3

Aug 23, 2009, 10:58 AM
    Questions about amber gemstones
    Can anybody tell me about amber, a type of semiprecious stone? Can it be cut and faceted like stones? Or can it be drilled like pearls? Is one color better or more desirable than others, what I've got is loose stones in a box that vary from almost clear, to varying rootbeer colors to some that are very dark like a Cocacola color. There is one large chunk about as big as a radish, many a little smaller, then down to bits that are cherry pit sized. Is this weighed by the carat weight system to determine how large a piece is. Thank you for any information.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Aug 28, 2009, 07:26 PM

yes, amber can be cut, but it takes someone who knows how to work with amber to do so. While it CAN be faceted, it usually isn't. Amber can also be drilled, but once again it takes someone who knows how to work with amber.

amber is actually petrified tree sap. It can turn into a jelly-like substance if left in water or exposed repeatedly. It melts under heat, and produces a smell like warm honey.

specimens in the yellow to orange range are generally preferred. However, the most determining factor is clarity. The fewer trapped debris, the higher it's value. Generally. The exception is when there is a particularly well-preserved insect, or other creature, present in the amber. When that's the case the value goes up, especially if it is the only, or nearly so, impurity in the stone.

as far as I can tell, amber is subject to the same carat grading system as other gemstones.

if you choose to get your pieces cut, be SURE to get someone who has real experience working with amber. It is too easy to ruin a good piece of amber from inexperience. Ask to see examples of their work and, if possible, observe them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ABS (Amber) and Brakes (Red) [ 3 Answers ]

I need a lot of guidance. I have a 2003 Ford Windstar van that is suffering from either defective sending units or a blown circuit board. On my panel display, The Amber "ABS" led is on intermittently, the Red Brakes indicator is constantly lit. However, I believe this to be a problem with...

Loose Amber [ 10 Answers ]

About ten years ago, my Dad brought me a small trinket box full of loose amber from one of his trips to South America. There are about 50 stones with small holes for stringing onto a necklace. Anyone have any ideas about what to do with these pieces? I'm not all that crafty and don't want to...

Amber color 7-up bottle [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find the value of a amber color 7-up bottle made in knoxville, TN.

Amber is a great moderator [ 5 Answers ]

I'm a member of Amber's board like Dark2Light and I think she's a great moderator. I've never met someone so caring and helpful as Amber. She has helped so many people on her board. When I was having problems with my order with this company, she stepped in and helped me get my products, I found out...

View more questions Search