Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jim828 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2006, 06:38 AM
    Deceased parents debt help !
    Hello,

My mother passed away March of 2005 leaving an acre of land a mobile home (manufactured home) and some cash.My brother and I were named excitor of estate we did not want the mobile home the Creditor repo'd the home and auctioned it off not for the full amount of loan, now want me to pay the difference ($37,000). Am I responsible for this and how far can they go to collect? There is none of the cash she left us, left.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 25, 2006, 06:41 AM
    I think you need to consult an attorney. From what I know, the estate is responsible for any debts of the deceased up to the value of the estate. And those debts need to be paid BEFORE the distribution of the estate. So, if you took out any cash or received anything from the sale of the land, then you and your brother might be responsible for the remaining debt on the motorhome. But only up to the value of the estate.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2006, 07:51 AM
    Hello Jim:

Ask the creditor to send you copies of the original loan documents. There is a good chance that the loan was insured, or that your mother bought credit life insurance on the loan. It's certainly worth a shot.

Secondly, as Scott pointed out, the ESTATE is responsible for the loan - not you. Your mother owned the acreage. In addition to the cash (IF they knew about it - and that's not likely), the acreage is the only asset they can go after. When I say go after, in my view, all they can do is file a lien against the property and wait till it's sold to collect.

I do NOT believe they can sue you. Well, of course they can sue, but I don't think they'll win (unless they did know about the cash, and it was enough to cover the loan).

You are under the gun here and you can't ignore the problem. You DO need the services of an attorney. Tell him what I suggested. He might think, hey - you got this from an excon?? Wow - great!

Or he might think, hey - you got this from an excon? Waddya nuts?

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 25, 2006, 07:59 AM
    While I agree with what excon said, I wouldn't count on them not knowing about the cash. Especially if the estate was probated.

What they might do is sue the estate, whch means you and your brother have to answer as executors. They can then force an accounting of the estate. They cannot go after any assets of yours or sue you directly unless they can prove you took money out of the estate.

Might I ask how much was the estate worth? Has the land been sold? For how much? How much cash was taken out?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Liable for debt of deceased mother [ 7 Answers ]

My mother has recently passed away, leaving an outstanding loan. The bank have said that my brothers and I must pay the balance of £4700. However, there is no money in my mothers estate and so we would have to pay this ourselves. Are we liable for payment or should the bank write the debt off?

Sick elderly parents need help with old credit card debt [ 9 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello there. This is my first question on this website. Hopefully someone is able to guide me. My father is 74 and very ill and my mother is 70 with cancer. They were keeping up on their credit card payments...

My deceased husband's credit card debt [ 8 Answers ]

My husband passed away at the end of last May. Since that time, I have diligently tried to pay off all his outstanding debts. His credit card with Chase had a substantial balance. I have already paid off about$5000 (which would have been greater if they hadn't hiked the interest rate to 27%). My...

Hear from deceased parents [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to hear from my deceased parents. My mom's name is marjorie and my dad's is dovie. I see that the psychic ranieri communicates with the passed. I miss them and need to connect in some way with them. Thank you, cwilliam

View more questions Search