Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jawad_babar Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Aug 22, 2009, 02:07 AM
    Ramadan Moon sighting in areas of Pakistan on 8/21/09.
    Hi, my name is Jawad and I am from Pakistan. I wanted to discuss on an issue related to the moon sighting.
    Islamic calender months start on the basis of moon sighting. Our holy month Ramazan starts the same way. Almost every year there are disputes between government authorities and the local mosques in the province of NWFP on moon sighting. In majority cases the local mosques get witnesses of moon sighting as per which the next day should be the start of ramazan but government authorities reject the witnesses. Government authorities on their turn give explanations of why the witnesses were rejected... either the moon cannot be seen at all on that specific day due to many reasons or some other things...
    Yesterday 8/21/09, again 12 people from our province NWFP sighted the moon but again Government rejected them saying that sighting of the moon on 8/21/09 is not possible by naked eye in Pakistan and moon can be seen only on 8/22/09. Hence Ramadan will start on 8/23/09 onwards...
    Can somebody explain to me astronomically that sighting of the moon on 8/22/09 in the areas of NWFP province was possible or not? NWFP province altitude is approx 1000 foot above sea level. Will really appreciate quick responses.
    Your response will indeed help us detect who is correct and who is wrong.
    Thanks,
    Jawad.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2009, 02:19 AM
    Hi, jawad_babar!

I'm no astronomy expert. Hopefully, someone with that sort of knowledge will come along to address your post.

But, I am curious as to why there seems to be a dispute on the issue?

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About ramadan queries [ 3 Answers ]

I was in saudia on 1st sept and I was on fast there then later I came to india . Now I'm confused when should I celebrate eid and when to celebrate shabe qadr. Is it accordind to saudia calender or indian calender

Rate at which moon obits the earth assuming distance between moon and earth is 382,00 [ 3 Answers ]

What is the rate that the moon orbits the earth assuming the distance between the moon and the earth is 382,000,000 meters. Should I derive from Distance=RatexTime?

Ramadan fasting during early pregnancy [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a muslim, I have to fast in ramadan. I was for seventeen days, the I come to know that I'm preganent. Last masuration was aug, 26 2007. I have to have my period on sep,22 2007. I checked for pregnancy after days of delay. By that time it was the seventeenth day of ramadan. My question is can I...

How does Psp Networking Online Work in some Areas, and not some Areas? [ 3 Answers ]

Im very curious about how the psp works... Some time I lay in my bed, and wait for the psp internet to reach the access point, and the SSID's name is Anne... I don't know, some one else's wireless or sum thing like that thingie. I go to display connection, and it says 10%, then I move the psp to...

View more questions Search