Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Merisorul Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2009, 08:03 AM
    Custody of a niece
    Hello everyone

I am looking for some answers and any imput would be greatly appreciated.
    The situation is like this... My sister-in-law is mentaly sick. She and her husband have a 6.5 year old daughter. Her illness got to the point that is pretty much unmanageable as she is dropping her treatment every few weeks. Life in that family is absolutely miserable, the husband feels trapped and thinks he has no alternative but to put up with it. The 6.5 yer old girl howerver is another storry. My husband and I feel that she would have by far a much better life if she was to live with us. We would gladly take her and give her back her childhood she is supposed to have which she doesn't have at the moment. In the past, we asked to adopt the girl and at that time the father was reluctant to give her to us in permanted bases although we would have the child at out house for months at times.
    As the situation there took a turn for the wost in the last couple of years, we see indications that he would be willing to let us have her. The mother would agree with us taking the girl as well.
    I would apprerciate any imput in how to go about it. Also, the girl is an American citizen and lives now in the States, we in the other hand are Canadians and live in Canada.

Pleas help if you can. Thank You!
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 08:06 AM

If both parents are agreeable, you would file a petition for guardianship with the court that has jurisdiction (where she lives). Guardianship is usually the first step. After that, you would secure a lawyer and proceed with the adoption.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting custody of my niece [ 3 Answers ]

Okay first off I live in Indiana. Secondly I would like to know if anyone knows what steps I need to take to get custody of my niece. Here's the story: My sister and her husband are divorced theyhave been going to court off and on for approx. 6 years now over custody issue. She is currentlyliving...

Want to take custody of my 5yr old niece [ 9 Answers ]

Hi everyone, my name is Tanya, I'm 21 yrs old, single and in the military. I want to take custody of my 5 yr old niece and also find a good place for her sisters 17 month old twins. Their mother uses drugs and does not take care of them like she's supposed to. My brother who's her father is going...

Want custody of my niece... [ 6 Answers ]

I want to take custody of my niece but I'm not sure where to turn. She is three years old and has already lived through more stuff than I have. My brother is in a bad situation and she is not being taken care of. I would like to approach him with this but I want to know the facts first. I also know...

View more questions Search